DIY stand builders, i need your help

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
In the process of building my stand for my 40b. Do you guys think it will be strong enough without the middle vertical brace (not pictured)?
IMG_20120102_104411.jpg

IMG_20120102_104434.jpg

Yeah that will be plenty strong enough without that brace.. I wouldnt worry about it.. Once you wrap the outside you would be surprised the weight it will hold..

My 90 is built the same way. The only difference is on mine the top header that the tank sits on is 2x6. I would say you are ok, most of the weight is in the corners anyway. If you are that worried about it you could always put the vertical support on the back side only.

I'm thinking of skinning with 1/4in birch. Should I go thicker? Any wood grains I should check out that's not too expensive?

So far I think I got about 30 dollars tied up in this. 20$ was just in wood. I needed 7 2x4s. Bought 1 box of 3in screws. I did buy 1 of those 90degree clamp things for 9$. So not to bad so far. But i can see its going to cost me some $ in finishing. My goal was to make it better then my 75g stand build. I made a few mistakes with that one but it was my first.

That will be fine even if it's not skined. I've built several stands and many had no center beams.

I have always been partial to shiplap when doing stands.. just love the look once stained and trimmed out..

Take a look at doing cedar tongue and groove on the outside. Most DIY box stores sell it, presanded, as closet liner. Looks great when sanded, cuts down on assembly time (no sanding!) and is just easy to do. Easy to make doors with that stuff too!

As for your structure, it looks great. The ONLY thing I would have done that you didn't, is to have used Gorilla glue in addition to the 3" screws on each joint. Be for you skin it, make triple sure it is square. Measure on the diagonal and make the numbers match exactly. Double check it when you put it in place too.

Thnx for the tip nonfamous. I'll check it out. Yea man, I had the glue sitting here in my face and forgot to use it. When I realized it, I just stood there shaking my head, lol.

You could also counter sink some carriage bolts to stiffen it up. Most of the time you can tighten them down by had enough to sink them in. Just a thought. With something on the outside, be it the cedar or something else, it should be more than strong enough to support the weight of your take, water, sand, rocks, ect... I would also suggest a shelf on the bottom if you haven't thought about that. Simple plywood with a matching plexiglas cover on it to protect it from water and salt. That is assuming you are using a sump.

Before you get much deeper, have you thought about wiring it for power? When I pull my sump for cleaning in the spring, I'm going to wire mine and properly mount my timers. Always something to do isn't there?!?!

OK so I went to lowes to look at some options for skinning. I kept going back to the cedar planks (closet liner). It looks great to me. The brand was evertrue I believe, and it comes with 15sq ft in a box. Wonder if one box is enough. I didn't buy it yet cuz im not sure how I'm going to finish the edges and top yet. I know i want one big door on the front but i want it to look like two. And I want one door on the side. I did cut a piece of 2x4 to make a shelf on the inside. Still have to get some ply for the floor. I need to look at some other stands that used some kind of planks to get ideas for trim.

i used oak flooring unfinished inside for the floor on mine and a wider birch on the outside wich was prefinished flooring - i'll post up pics later in my build thread i havent built doors or shelves yet

Great thread Heavy, you've inspired me to start building a new tank stand and save myself a deal of cash. I don't have much skill in carpentry but it looks pretty basic. Would you agree or should I leave it to the pros?

Great thread Heavy, you've inspired me to start building a new tank stand and save myself a deal of cash. I don't have much skill in carpentry but it looks pretty basic. Would you agree or should I leave it to the pros?

build it - its rather easy - you dont have to get all fancy with it just glue and screw - measure twice cut once - not trying to thread jack but i also have pics of the stand i made 6 foot long if you search my posts - looks about the same as this just longer - same basic construction

That's right, Go for it! The first stand I made was for a 75g. I knew nothing about woodwork. Only what I seen on this old house. And when I was done it was a solid 8/10. Me personally, i wasnt spending alot of money for a rinky Dink premade stand. Now I can make it look how i want and everything. If you can maintain a reef, then you can build a stand:)

Back