DIY Stand Design

matthew1048

Wurd to ya motha
Recently, I've been looking around for stand designs and I think I've found a great one. I really don't want to buy one, because quiet honestly, the ones I've seen look extremely under built to carry the load of a fully stocked 75 gallon tank. :pooh:
Here's a link to the design I was looking at. 75 Gallon Aquarium Stand

I'll make some small changes to the design, mainly the doors. A friend of mine the works for a custom cabinet shop can make some for me, at cost only too!

I would also like to incorporate an idea that I saw in a thread shown to me by jeddy576. The thread was about a stand design that incorporated all of the electrical outlets needed to operate a tank being built into the stand. My only concern would be water getting into the outlets , in the case of an overflow, or accidental splashes. Here's a link to the thread. Reef Central Online Community - Ultimate 20G Setup Journal - Pic Intense

What do you all think? Will the stand design I've found be sturdy enough? And should I be paranoid about putting switches and outlets under the tank, in the stand? What are your general opinions about the whole idea???

I also just had the idea to extend the length of the stand by 10 inches and the width of the stand by 5 inches. This will allow for a complete built in look, the housing for storage cabinets on each side of the tank, and it will also allow for a fascia to extend past the back of the tank to hide all wires/plumbing. Sorry for the last minute add-on, but the idea just kinda hit me.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated, and by all means, if you see any problems with design, let me know!!! Thanks yall!!!!

it looks good to me..the final shoot of the tank with the stand looks great..what color are you planing to paint it??...just be carefull with the receptacles ...but the desingn for them looks like its gonna work fine..

You dont need the four by fours that is way over kill. I have built four stands the biggest one being a 125 gal tank and I have used 2x4 for all of them and they are extremly sturdy. garf.org has some good plans for both buildiong stands and tanks out of wood. It also has a calculater just enter the size you want then it will give you the cuts and tell you how to put it together, then you will have to put some kind of wood for the outside for looks. The plans are on the left side of there home page under DIY pages then after clicking on that click on stand building. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

LOL....overkill....That's something I've become quite infamous for!!!! Thanks for the input fellows, and Joey, I posted in your thread on stands. The best thing I can tell ya is to find what you like, then customize it to fit your needs.

Back