DIY stand

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I am looking for plans for something...big. How hard is it to find plans for tank stands? any links to websites that are trust-worthy?

-Doc

I was thinking of something like that already. Glad to know I was on the right track. I will need to use supports to brace the middle cross beams due to the weight, I think. I figure the tank will weigh somewhere around 4,000lbs. I figure if houses can be supported by 2x4s, then my tanks should as well.

-Doc

My tank is around 750lbs. give or take and i built my own stand with 2x4's with steel brackets for support. I basicly built 2 rectangular frames (top/bottom) but put eight legs with the strong edge going in opposite directions to give strength in both directions. That also helps to spread the weight out over the entire base of the stand as opposed to just four points. I then tied the whole thing together with 3/8" steel brackets. I think the vertical strength of a 2x4 at 3' is @ 2000lbs so basicly the total vertical support capacity of my stand is 16k lbs lol. In a nutshell, there are three things that are gonna survive the apocolypse...cockroaches, twinkies and my aquarium stand :)

Doc GARF.org is a great site for plans, but if you build one go ahead and add a few extra 2x4's for support. When I build them I way over build them.LOL But you would acctually be supprised how much weight 1 2x4 can hold. I looked it up once and can't remember now but think it was like 600 lbs per inch, so with all the weight distributed then your actually pretty good. I built the one for my 125 and was alittle scared when I set it up, however, it did great.

I appreciate all the advice. I am shooting for 30 inches in total height. I will put up way too many supports for the tank. I don't want it crashing down on me or my family. I will start it the end of next month

-Doc

Back