DIY Sump/Fuge Question

Here is just a suggestion. The baffle that seperates your fuge from your return should be 1/4 shorter then the rest. That way you know your getting good flow and you get some down pressure coming to stir the water in the fuge.

As suggested you need a fresh water top off to keep your return from running dry. You can buy a set up from many of the online reef supply places that has lvl sensor that works like a bobber. When the water gets low it activates a pump, that pumps water from your fresh water reserve. (I will be going to this system on my next project) For now i just use the syphon method and have a valve i can turn on and off to top up my fuge. Now the only problem I'm seeing with the method I'm using at the moment is that it changes the conditions of the water to fast and in the long run i'm doing more harm then good. That is why I will be buying the lvl sensor in the next few weeks so that the water conditions are not rapidly changing on a daily basis.

Just suggestion!

Consider placing a partition perpendicular to the seperator;
Right now you have vertical separator, place a horizontal separator between them. You could use it as refugium. Water goes from one side and comes back from the other side into sump. (this side should have some slid into it to allow water fall down.

Back