DIY sump/ refugium questions

Swoja

Reefing newb
I have a 60 gallon tank I'm setting up slowly, I'm going to use either a 10, or 20 gallon aquarium and make it a sump, I'm wanting to know if I use a 20 gallon tank with a large refugium with a lot of sand and rocks would I need a skimmer? I have a skilter for a 100 gallon( alot of people think bad about it but one of my Lfs' has a 60 gallon with the smaller one and it's heavily stocked and it's very clean) it seems like the live rock amd sand would be at least as good as the skilter would. Also, my overflow box in the 60 gallon has two holes at the bottom, I know one is for a return line, but do I run pipe from the other to the sump tank and just let water fall down it, or do I add something inside the overflow to sort of "guide" the water down? A few links for plans of a sump with no skimmer would be nice too, that is if i can do that and not risk needing more filtration down the line

Sorry for all the questions or if Im rambling, I've just been reading so many opinions I'm more confused.

Thanks to all who help

The rock will be your main source of filtration, IF you have enough it allows a LOT of surface area for the bacteria to populate.
A skimmer pulls the dissolved organics out of the water before the bacteria can get to it. Resulting in cleaner water. The issue with the skilter would be how efficient it is working. (Ive never heard anything about them good or bad, anyone else?) I would probably go with a HOB skimmer instead.
Here is a good link that I found helpful when I was starting:Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

You don't realize what a crappy skimmer is until you replace it with a good skimmer! On a 60 gallon tank, I would not go skimmerless unless you have a refugium. For small tanks, it's easy to do, but that's because you can do large water changes frequently.

If you have a refugium, then you could pass on the skimmer, but you would need macroalgae like chaetomorpha to do the nutrient export.

You will need to build an overflow pipe of some sort, or it will sound like a constant toilet flushing in your tank -- the most popular kinds are the Durso overflow and BeanAnimal overflow. I've always used the Durso standpipe, and it's really easy to make. You can google them for directions.

The skilter is a hang on back filter and skimmer combination, I'm not going to use it sorry for the confusion I was just referencing it, and for the HOB, which would you recommend? And what kind of return pump should I be looking at if I go with the 20g and about a 3-4 foot hight?

Thanks everyone I appreciate it

Back