DIY Sump

ReelNorth

Reefing newb
Is it worth it to shell out 450.00 for an acrylic sump? or is it good to use a 55 gallon tank, drill it and put it under my 125 gallon?

If the 55 is good, how many baffles etc and how would you guys stitch it together. I am trying to save as much moiney as I can so I can get a good skimmer and lighting & RO

cool. So fill the middle with live rock - sorta like the mossy stuff?

How does the auto top off work? My tank is about 30 ft from my sink and nearest waterline. I dont want to drill a hole in the wall, as my fiance will KILL ME as we are going to sell in a year or so. Is there a way to have a littler container as a top off under the tank? I dont get it. I feel slow.:helm2:

you can make a ato with using a bucket most of the ato have two sensors that go in the sump and hook to the power of a powerhead. when the water gets low it turns on the pump and fills ti with water from your bucket of container.

I've got a little rubbermaid container that sits beside my tank.The sensors in the return section of my sump.

This is getting interesting

So lemme get this straight

Compartment 1 - Bioballs

Compartment 2 - live rock/algae stuff etc (refuge)

Compartment 3 - ?!

The return comes out of c3 I assume.

Assuming I have 2 overflows, both flows come into c1, then overflow into 2, then into 3? So where is the skimmer & the return pump? And do I need a little wee light on the fuge? And is it a better idea to have a small seperate tank as its own fuge or am I just sily and NOOB!!!!

:bowdown:

ok.

C1 skimmer, mechanical filtration stuff
C2 live rock/mossy stuff
C3 is return pump?

I am useless:Cheers:

I am also looking at a 72" Nova 12x39 watts lights. Good?:question:

C1 skimmer, mechanical filtration stuff
C2 live rock/mossy stuff
C3 is return pump?

I am useless:Cheers:

I am also looking at a 72" Nova 12x39 watts lights. Good?:question:

Yep. The "mossy stuff" you're talking about is probably macroalgae. The best type of macroalgae for your refugium is chaetomorpha. See if your LFS carries chaeto; if not you can get it cheap off of Ebay.

Back