DIY Sump

orzeljo609

Reefing newb
OK so I am attempting to build my first sump. All is going well but I've hit a bit of a road block in terms of accessibility. Do I need to be able to access the bio-balls and the foam that I am putting in?

You really shouldn't want to put bioballs or foam in a sump. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a sump! All those will do is create more maintenance for you. And they usually lead to high nitrates in saltwater tanks. If you do put them in, you need to access them because they have to be cleaned about once a week. That's why they're such a pain to use. If you have live rock, they are not needed.

I have a piece of foam in my sump it keeps seaweed and crap from getting sent back up to the tank. I rinse it out once a week when I do water changes though. Bioballs definatly not needed. So if you do use foam in your sump you do need to be able to clean it weekly.

Try this for a sump design it only uses 4 pieces of acrylic or glass in the tank.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 6,753
I sense a little bit of a bias here towards a certain moderator....lol

LOL I just posted a previous pic I drew of my sump. I had just ordered Cheato from Biff when I drew that. You should read the add she made to truly understand why you need to buy biffs cheato LOL

LOL I certainly hope there is a Knitting with Chaeto class I can take at the local community college on the weekends. I guess I should probably pick some up in the near future.

LOL I certainly hope there is a Knitting with Chaeto class I can take at the local community college on the weekends. I guess I should probably pick some up in the near future.

It's great stuff and knits itself. I think mine is currently knitting itself into a nitrate removal system.

Her add reads like an infomercial but she forgot the "but wait there's more" part

All you need inlet this is the section the skimmer goes too,a bubble trap a section for a fuge if you want one and a return area

Last edited:
The skimmer is also in the same section as the pump it's just not shown on the drawing. You have to scale to fit your own skimmer and pump.

BIFF"S CHEATO IS THE BEST-------ALL HAIL BIFFS CHEATO----------

Don't tell anybody I said to do this, but I "heard" you can use a sock on the line coming into your sump to be your mechanical filtration. I would say get two to start so you have a clean one ready to swap out. It really polishes the water for you and easy to clean, and they just start to back up in there so you know when they get dirty.

Not that I would ever use anything like that.....

Don't tell anybody I said to do this, but I "heard" you can use a sock on the line coming into your sump to be your mechanical filtration. I would say get two to start so you have a clean one ready to swap out. It really polishes the water for you and easy to clean, and they just start to back up in there so you know when they get dirty.

Not that I would ever use anything like that.....

I been thinking of adding a sock to mine. The do help the water but not sure I want yet another thing to clean weekly.

Back