DIY Sump

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Ok, so I'm going to be converting my 50 gallon long to a sump if at all possible (it may or may not fit in the bottom of the stand for the 90 gallon; they're both 48" long tanks). Anyway, I'm going to be dividing it into three-ish parts: the protein skimmer area on one end, the refugium on the other, and the return in the middle. The -ish part refers to a thin section I want to partition off between the skimmer and the return for filter media like carbon and GFO. The plumbing would be a HOB overflow that would split and flow through socks into both the skimmer area and the fuge.

That being said, where can I get the material to make the partitions? And do I have to cut the toothy tops myself, or is there somewhere I can buy premade ones?

Just find a local glass company that installs custom windows or something. They'll cut the pieces for you depending on the measurements you give them. I'd just get some 1/4" glass baffles made, and they'll probably ask you if you want the edges to be rough or sanded.You can get your own sandpaper and knock off the sharp edges, only takes about a minute per edge.

You can go with acrylic baffles too, but I find it's much easier to just stop by a shop and give them some measurements to pick them up in a few days. Cutting plastic is a big mess and a pita, IMO. :mrgreen:

Thanks! My husband actually knows a place locally, so the leg work is already done for me on that part. Score!

When you get the silicone, make sure you get the kind that's safe for fish and doesn't have any anti-mold additives in it. It doesn't have to be a special aquarium silicone or anything, it'll be the kind that's the most simple. Most companies are pretty good about indicating that it's safe for fish tanks or drinking water systems. If all else fails you can just go to petco and get some, but because it says 'aquarium' on it they charge more.

Back