DIY Tank Cover

snyderju

Reefing newb
Well, after doing some research I came to the conclusion that my glass canopy was doing more harm than good to my newly set up reef aquarium. I wanted to go completely open but with Firefish that was not an option. I did some searching and I found the screen method. I had to modify it and use Pine Wood and fiberglass screening because I had to create the canopy around my HOB filther and in-tank protein skimmer. This is what I came up with.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 5,800
Thanks! I'm a little worried about it getting too hot since the light sits so low so after class and before work I'm going to raise the light up another inch or so.

Ya it does and its kinda funny because my protein skimmer is so big that even with glass canopy with the plastic backs that you can cut out it wouldn't fit. So i decided to undertake that project last week and ended up breaking the top of my lid. All I can say is scoring and breaking glass is easier said than done lol. This will be a better solution in the long run it will keep the Firefish in and allow for gas exchange and cooling.

I have a quick question to bring to discussion as well. Since it is pine wood and is not treated or sealed I thought if it ever gets wet that could pose a problem. I am thinking about going to the hardware store and getting some acrylic varnish for the wood to seal it and prevent rotting if it does get wet. I did some research and found that some recommend this type of varnish. Any thoughts on that sort of thing?

+1 Get marine spar varnish.It is formulated for high moisture areas. Stay away from acrylics.The solvent based stuff has more odor and takes longer to dry, but it's worth it in the long run.

Lol kinda funny, I discovered the wonders of egg crate shortly after this and converted it already. Was still a fun build and kept me busy but egg crate is just waaay nicer lol.

Back