DIY tank?

jermpool

NAAO President
Anyone ever built there own tank?

I was thinking about building a tank for my sump instead of going with my original plan. I've seen plans on the internet to build them just by painting plywood with marine grade paint, but I was thinking of coating the plywood with fiberglass. Anyone have an opinion on this?

The acrylic will cost $200 plus shipping and it would have to be sent "motor frieght" whatever that is. I think the plywood route will be cheaper.

I don't think my local Lowes has any big enough but I will check on it before I buy anything. I want it to be 12x24x66.

the plywood tank should work fine. the fiberglass is a good idea or you can just use a ton of marine epoxy. I've also seen huge plywood tanks that have been built with pond liner.

Very interseting, I guess I never thought about building a tank with only one glass side. reasonable materials cost as well.

Anyone going to do it?

jermpool said:
Would I need to paint the fiberglass?

YES! Well kinda. Fiberglass is porus and will absorb the water and over time this will cause deterioration and failure. Epoxy will also fail in water as well. Marine Epoxy will last alot longer but the best method would be to Gel Coat the fiberglass. Gel Coat applys just like paint (brush or spray gun) but when it drys it seals up the pours in the resin. Gel Coat can be painted if you cant find the color you need or want. Hope this helps.

Massey

yea pait it i made a big vat to run my ro into i think its about 400gal but i have never had a problem out of it i'm thinking about making a inside salt water pond for my house out of ply and i still used a lot of marine paint and let me tell you it is a heavy son of a gun

yea the first thing is that you would have to make a tnk out of acylic then build your wood around that and no wood is gonna be as stright as acylic so you would not have a good fit and take a chance on the acylic cracking of busting but that is just what i think but i could be wrong

Making the tank out of wood then sealing it up with acrylic would work just fine. The only things you will have to keep in mind are the pressures from the water pushing everything out. Make sure that the wood framework can do the job, maybe build it like the framework of a house. The next thing I would agree with 55King about making the acrylic first then the wood around it. Make sure you use a glue that is safe for fish and acrylics and will "weld" them together not just stick them together .

Massey

P.S. the thicker you can make the acrylic the less stress will be placed on the wood.

Hello Jeromy, I live in Knoxville and sell acrylic that is all ready cut to shape, that is the pieces are to your size, the cutout for the top holes etc.

The acrylic, 1/2", you need for a tank must be what's called CAST and not extruded, which HD does not sell. There's a special glue for acrylic and one brand is Weld-On. I sell everything you need to do a DIY acrylic job including a photo web site that leads you through the fabrication. It gets better for you, in that my father in-law lives in Chattanooga also and we go to see him once or twice a month and I would bring the acrylic to you and help you get started no charge! If interested then give me an email and I'll give you some prices.

P.S. I buy wholesale and I can sell to you the pieces cut up and ready to glue at the price you buy a whole sheet at retail prices! [email protected]

jermpool said:
Would I need to paint the fiberglass?

You would need to coat the "glass" with a waterproof coating. Most paint is porus and will absorb water over time. Gelcoat is the prefered method and can be purchased at just about any marine supply store. Brush or spray on and make sure that the gaps and holes are all sealed up and you should be fine.

Massey

Back