Do air pumps help during power outage?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
How much good do air pumps really do during a power outage. I'm guessing one of those battery powered pumps is going to buy time --but how much?

Anyone ever use one during a power outage?

I have used them several times. They generate some water movement and of course put oxygen into the water. The trick is being home when the power goes out! I have used one for 2-3 hours with success. In contrast when I didn't have one I lost almost everything in less than 4 fours in my Red Sea Max.

Buy a cheap job-site generator then you can sell power out to your neighbors!!! And you will still watch tv, computer, heat, fridge, etc.....

I can't find a battery air pump that only comes on when there is a power outage. They all seem to run always --power or no power.

I loose pwer all the time so I have installed (myself) a manual transfer switch and put most of my home circuits on it. I also got a used generator from a guy who was going out of business...it's great, I can run my whole house in the event of a power outage, with the exception of the A/C condenser, and I am working on that too.

I loose pwer all the time so I have installed (myself) a manual transfer switch and put most of my home circuits on it. I also got a used generator from a guy who was going out of business...it's great, I can run my whole house in the event of a power outage, with the exception of the A/C condenser, and I am working on that too.

uh, how much did all that cost?

Transfer switch was about $200, bought wholesale, Grainger has them. The generator was $75. We lose power here all the time and it's out for several hours most of the time. About 3 winters ago we lost power all day and the temp. in my house was about 50 degrees. It was a bad ice storm and I was out all day hooking up generators for customers directly to their furnace...I came home and power came on at about 10pm. Then about 12 midnight I lost my gas pressure, regulator got iced over, lesson learned. So by that summer I had it all installed. I paid my brother in law to put the transfer switch in, but it's easy. I would look for a cheap, used generator, save your money on all that back up stuff, apc and stuff. I'll bet you can get a used gen for a great price, even new they start at like $400, but I don't know what your budget is. But like I said, I'm not runnig without power agian if I can help it! Just keep a lot of gas on hand, like 10 gal, and I run my generator twice a year just to test it.....I have a customer that right now I'm bidding on installing a 100kw generator, nat gas, for his business, totally redundant.

The way you aerate your tank is by surface aggitation. The bubbles will rise to the top and burst causing slight aggitation which is better than nothing.

So many people lose tanks from power outages and yet no one has come up with a simple, relatively inexpensive solution.

I'm thinking this is the best 'economic' solution: a battery powered air pump that runs only when there's no power (if it exists) and run my heater off a computer backup battery.

you can hook up you small korlinia powerheads or maxijets to a computer ups bulkreefsupply has one that will last for a few hours

There are nightlights that come on when there is a power outage, so why isn't there a plug type device that would sense a power outage and switch the battery powered pump on. Makes no sense to me. Is there such a device?

There is but they cost a ridiculous amount of money if you want it to last a long time. I looked at homedepot and if you want a 10,000 watt battery back up it's about $3500. There is probably something for cheaper that you could rig up yourself if you're handy with electronics. What you basically need is a transition transfer switch that would hook to a back up battery supply.
I looked at the APC website and they don't even come close to the power necessary to keep a tank going. The best I could find was if you ran 800W it would last 4 minutes.

Some guy used less than half the charge of his second battery during a 20 hour power outage:

TRIPP LITE POWERVERTER APS 750 POWER INVERTER 750W 2 OUTLETS 12VDC-120V with double 12V DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERIES - $550

For all that money on the battery back up you could do the generator also...it's expensive, but so is the tank and the time and money invested in it. Like I said I put the generator in for the heat mainly when the power goes out, so running the tank is just a plus.

For all that money on the battery back up you could do the generator also...it's expensive, but so is the tank and the time and money invested in it. Like I said I put the generator in for the heat mainly when the power goes out, so running the tank is just a plus.

The tripp lite solution kicks on even if your not there though!

I found a link on how to tell how long a computer UPS will run your pump and heater.

How long would a Battery Backup UPS run a Aquarium Filter for? - Yahoo! Answers

Back