Do Clown Fish need an Anemone?

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey

So I was wondering, I have two Clown fish (Amphiprion ocellaris) they seem to be pretty happy but I was wondering if I should invest in an anemone or are they fine with out it? I know that there is no guarantee that they will take to it even if I get one. Also they are both tank bred if that matters at all.

Thanks!
-Tom

They will be fine w/o the nem, its awesome how they interact with the nem. They get very aggressive once hosted. We have some tricks to get them in the nem, but honestly they dont take their time to say hello. Fyi, marineland leds will not support a nem

Last edited:
Clown fish dont have to have an anemone to be happy. I had clowns in my tank for years and they were awesome little fish. They can be happy with them, but there is no guarantee that they will host them.

If you do get an anemone though make sure your take is fully established and has been running for a good while. They are very sensitive animals .

Thanks for the info, if I was to look into getting what kind should I get? I have been told my my local marine store that bubble tips are the best bet. Is this true or was he just trying to make a sale?

Captive Bred (Tank raised) Clownfish tend to host Bubble tips easier then most other nems. Although, in the wild, the only fish that actually host Bubble Tips are Maroon Clowns lol. But yeah, it's hit or miss on the amount of time it takes. If you want them to host it faster, get one of the fish fry breeding nets and put the nem in it. Then, catch the clowns and put them in the net with the nem for a week or so. Mine took to the nem within 24 hours that way (multiple times). Also, make sure that the nem is big enough on both sides to host both clowns. If it's too small, the clowns trying to host it could end up damaging it, and then killing it. Also, it's a good idea to get the nem use to being hosted before letting it free in the tank. Initially, the clowns hosting it will piss it off. And, if it's free in the tank during, it will try and move away from them. I had this happen with a 12" long GBTA that ended up moving to the power head and getting destroyed.

Also, make sure you have good enough lights, and pristine water conditions. Otherwise the nem won't do very well. 6 months - a year is what is recommended before a nem is introduced to the tank. But yeah, best of luck :)

They get ridiculously aggressive.. I cannot clean my tank without those 2 clown fish biting me the entire time.. its actually quite funny to watch. The way i got my clowns to host (which isnt the best way because you shouldnt move an anemone) was to move it under where the clowns usually sleep in the corner of my tank. I had my anemone for a month and a half clowns showed no interest. I moved it to where they slept and overnight they were hosted.

They get ridiculously aggressive.. I cannot clean my tank without those 2 clown fish biting me the entire time.. its actually quite funny to watch. The way i got my clowns to host (which isnt the best way because you shouldnt move an anemone) was to move it under where the clowns usually sleep in the corner of my tank. I had my anemone for a month and a half clowns showed no interest. I moved it to where they slept and overnight they were hosted.

Hahahaha. Its so true. My male clown goes out of his way to attack my hand! The female is fine with me, but wants all the fish to stay away from the nem.

If you wear something shiny (like a ring or a bracelet) they'll go after that instead of your skin. That being said... they don't bite hard. I always just deal with it.

Mine are both fine unless I have my turkey blaster in my hand...then the little Misbar goes nuts....full attack mode....he will jump an inch out of the water to bite my finger...

Funny thing is...he doesn't attack the turkey blaster, just me....

If you wear something shiny (like a ring or a bracelet) they'll go after that instead of your skin. That being said... they don't bite hard. I always just deal with it.

I can't deal with it. I have no rational thought process when I see one charge me. I totally freak out. When I have to stick my hand in the tank, I just have someone come over and keep them away from me with my long tongs. LOL

it just feels like a sharp but light thump....nothing to it....when the little bastard jumps out of the water and gets me is when it freaks me out a little bit....flippin thing thinks it's a saltwater pirannah.....

I totally agree with all of you. The first time was what the hell is wrong with you? I use a tweezers to feed the corals and the little clown will jump @ my hand too. The first time i had to clean 3g worth of water off the floor when i pulled my hand out fast!
I also was really looking at some movement in my tank and the cats wet nose touched my arm and freaked out for a second.

I can't deal with it. I have no rational thought process when I see one charge me. I totally freak out. When I have to stick my hand in the tank, I just have someone come over and keep them away from me with my long tongs. LOL

My trigger would draw blood from me on a consistent basis.

And once upon a time (like... when I was a teenager) I had a snowflake eel go after me every time I stuck my hand in the tank. After those... clowns are no biggie. :D

I swear the little guys can smell fear. I put my hand in there and they are nice as pie. My wife goes in and she gets attacked like she's made of mysis. We both take our rings off, only thing we can think of is the size difference- it freaks her out too, we tried the full sleeve gloves but they are too damn bulky for my liking.

Back