Do fishes drink salted water in the ocean?

that's an interesting question.....

they don't drink. they exist in water, so it's impossible for them to become dehydrated.

Also, you've never heard the phrase "Drinks like a fish".... as in constantly imbibing... ?

Last edited:
Actually they do achieve their moisture intake from the water, the one thing that separates fresh water from saltwater is how their bodies eliminate the salt.

Actually they do achieve their moisture intake from the water, the one thing that separates fresh water from saltwater is how their bodies eliminate the salt.

no :pooh: sherlock, lol. absorbing water through their epidermis is not the same as drinking. drinking requires a throat, which fish don't have, and a tongue, which they also don't have. Not to mention the opposable thumb issue.... how can they pick up cups?!

my point is, the poster didn't ask "how do fish get their moisture"... he asked if fish drink. they do not.

hedgehog.jpg

Uh oh Tanked. I have to call it. Cathic 1, Tanked 0.

I found this online:

The answer to this question differs, depending on whether you're talking about saltwater fish or freshwater fish.

Freshwater fish do not actively drink water, but absorb the water through their skin and gills. On the other hand, saltwater fish do actively drink sea water. Their gills process the water and take out the salt.

The salmon is an interesting example of a fish that lives in both fresh and salt water, and consequently, they have the characteristics of both types of fish. Salmon are born in fresh water, and migrate to the ocean. While living in the ocean, they drink saltwater by opening their mouth; their gills then rid their bodies of the salt and minerals. When the salmon enters freshwater streams to spawn, they stop drinking the water and instead absorb it through osmosis (osmosis means that the water passes through the cells of the fish's skin into its body).

AND

Ocean fish have the opposite problem. Surrounded by salt water, their bodies contain a relatively lower concentration of salt than the ocean water. In this case, osmosis causes the fish to constantly lose water in order to equalize salt concentration inside and outside the fish.

To partially compensate for the water loss, ocean fish actually drink water through their mouths. To get rid of the excess salt they take in by drinking seawater, they excrete some salt through cells in their gills.

AND

Fresh water fish absorb water through their skin and gills, saltwater fish actually do drink water.

In saltwater fish, they have to drink because their body's concentration of salt is lower than the surrounding water. Therefore, they have to drink huge amounts of water every day to stay hydrated.

In freshwater fish, their salt concentration is higher than that of the surrounding water, and, as osmosis dictates, they absorb water through their highly permeable skin. To keep from bursting, freshwater fish actually have to excrete water, up to 10 times their body weight daily, unlike saltwater fish.

Last edited:
Uh oh Tanked. I have to call it. Cathic 1, Tanked 0.

Ocean fish have the opposite problem. Surrounded by salt water, their bodies contain a relatively lower concentration of salt than the ocean water.

This explains why it is important to gradually acclimate your fish to your tank's salinity.

+1 biff :) I remember writing a paper on that for one of our classes and i thought it was so strange that salties actually drank water!

Do fish drink water? | Answerbag

The answer to this question differs, depending on whether you're talking about saltwater fish or freshwater fish.

Freshwater fish do not actively drink water, but absorb the water through their skin and gills. On the other hand, saltwater fish do actively drink sea water. Their gills process the water and take out the salt.

The salmon is an interesting example of a fish that lives in both fresh and salt water, and consequently, they have the characteristics of both types of fish. Salmon are born in fresh water, and migrate to the ocean. While living in the ocean, they drink saltwater by opening their mouth; their gills then rid their bodies of the salt and minerals. When the salmon enters freshwater streams to spawn, they stop drinking the water and instead absorb it through osmosis (osmosis means that the water passes through the cells of the fish's skin into its body).

Read more: Do fish drink water? | Answerbag Do fish drink water? | Answerbag

Ok, I'm wrong. But that still doesn't sound like "drinking" to me. :mrgreen:

Explains why my naso always has its mouth open though. Haha.

Back