do I have majanos?

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So, a few months ago I posted, wondering I maybe had aiptasia. But this stuff didn't really look it. The one anemone is now 4 scattered around the tank...It's in a really hard place to get a photo of. It's darker and thicker than aiptasia, with white bands on its tentacles.
It's not as colorful as some photos of majano, which initially led me away from it.

It's about the size of a nickel, with a reddish-brown hue.
Any ideas?

If it's spreading, it's probably bad. Do you have peppermint shrimp? If no, you should get a few, in case it is aiptasia. And if it's not aiptasia then the peppermint will prevent you from getting it in the future. If you can, kill them now while you only have a few. You can try injecting them with stuff in a syringe. Apparently, boiled vinegar works.

APTAISIA X works really well, its also for mojano nems
i switched from joes juice
i have been waging a war in my biocube
i must kill 20 a night

Sweet, thanks! I just got a pep shrimp that I personally witnessed destroying an aiptasia, so hopefully it'll take care of it.

They will, I had an apstasia outbreak and two peps got rid of em overnight. Then they just sacavanged for leftovers really cool looking shrimp

Brian

My peppermint shrimp hasn't taken care of them...he basically stays on the exact same place on the rock all day - I witnessed him eating aip in the store so I'm wondering if they don't like this particular type or if he is just too lazy to leave his rock, even at night..

Going to try scrubbing it off the rock during my move, but who knows, maybe I should get a few more peps too...

If they're bigger aiptasias,the pepperments wont touch em.At least not that I've seen.
Try some Aiptasia-X.It'll kill em.

Are you talking about the stripey tentacled anemone? If so, that was an aiptasia. Some peppermints eat them, but some people say theirs don't. Which is why I think it's a good idea to get a handful of peppermints -- your chances of getting at least one that has a taste for them is increased that way. But even so, they may not be able to eat the larger ones. Peppermints are great at keeping them under control by preventing an outbreak in the first place -- by eating the small ones before they even show up. But for larger ones, you may have to take care of those yourself.

Yeah, my plan is to get a few more peps after the move, and to take as screwdriver to the perps during my big move.

It's too bad, the stripey ones are pretty cool looking, but they're stinging my frogspawn (you'd think it could hold its own, but I guess not)

Does Aiptasia-X cause the skimmer to overskim?

The Aiptasia-X shouldnt effect your skimmer at all,at least it dont mine,or the skimmers at the store.
Another thing about the pepperments,The caribbean pepperments are the ones that'll eat the aiptasia.The pacific variety usually wont touch em.

The Aiptasia-X shouldnt effect your skimmer at all,at least it dont mine,or the skimmers at the store.
Another thing about the pepperments,The caribbean pepperments are the ones that'll eat the aiptasia.The pacific variety usually wont touch em.

Well, the one I had bought was in a tank and he even demoed them voraciously going after an aiptasia he introduced from another tank..I went back today and bought 3 more, hopefully one of them's got the taste. If not, aiptasia x it is.

Back