Do I need to run the cooling fans on my MH fixture?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I noticed my temp go down to like 74 since it started getting cold, so I shut the cooling fans off yesterday. Now I touch my MH fixture and it literally burns my hand if I hold it there for more than a second.

Do the fans need to be on to keep the fixture from frying? Or are they just for the sake of the tank's temp?

I would think it depends on the position of your fans. They help blow the hot air from your MH's away from the waters surface, thus reducing your water temp.

As for your water temp being 74, that's kinda low IMO. I keep mine at about 81.

edit: My bad, didn't know you were referring to your fixtures? fans. Definitely keep them on.

Keep em running to avoid fire. Does it say in the instructions that they must be on when the lights are running?

okay, good to know. They're plugged back in now lol.

I have a heater but it's not big enough. I used it when the tank was freshwater without a sump. But now that extra 16 gals makes the heater unable to keep up.

Heaters are like $40 too. Eff that.

okay, good to know. They're plugged back in now lol.

I have a heater but it's not big enough. I used it when the tank was freshwater without a sump. But now that extra 16 gals makes the heater unable to keep up.

Heaters are like $40 too. Eff that.

better then nothing... maybe it will help a bit.

just until you can get another one.

And, I would check wal-mart, idk about you, but ours has some for around 20.

Well yeah, it is in there. But the little LED is on constantly and even with that I'm getting 74 degrees in my tank.

And I'll definetly check out walmart. Although I'm a little skeptical about buying a generic heater. I've seen heaters gone bad and it's not pretty.

Well yeah, it is in there. But the little LED is on constantly and even with that I'm getting 74 degrees in my tank.

And I'll definetly check out walmart. Although I'm a little skeptical about buying a generic heater. I've seen heaters gone bad and it's not pretty.

The brand that we have here is Aqua-tech....I have never had any trouble from that brand, but I had only used it in freshwater... idk if that would matter though.

:question::question:

Solarfall, if you're afraid of a heater failing, I'd suggest getting a controller. I have 2 heaters running on mine, so if one dies, the other picks up. Gives me some piece of mind for a relatively small amount of money.

Back