Do I want an aquarium?

Thanks For the replies!

Good, now i know what a "live rock" is, and it is not a rock at all! :-|

Weel ok, SW more expensive and more work than FW... got it.

Now, about equipment, I've learned that for a simple FW setup you just need a filter. For SW you need a bunch of stuff... Some have recommended established places like fosterandsmithaquatics.com or marinedepot.com while other like simpler approach and recommend fishpetlove.com, and of course bords like craiglist or ebay. I visited several sites and found the fishpetlove.com has a huge variety, though too much to choose from can be a problem, of course i don't recognise any brands... are brand names important?

About the size of the tank... they are VERY heavy, so qhere do you guys put them?

I am learning a lot which I don't mind, but I am affraid of the complexities like keeping the ritght water temperature. What would you recommend as a basic SW setup? I would start with a 40 + gln tank.

Thanks!

Matute -
I spent over $3800 setting up and starting a 12g I got for free at the store, switched to a BioCube (all-in-one system) and have no upgraded to a 120g Tech Tank. I bought digital instruments, upgraded the hell out of lighting, etc.

All the complex stuff in my BioCube I'm getting rid of - now in my tech tank I just have a sump, skimmer, powerheads and lights. You'll read around that there are some people that even have a 'skimmerless' system - just organic filtration and management.

Lessons learned:

1) Go big. In a 12 gallon, that extra drop of Kalk, that accidental flick of Iodide and it's not pretty. Two angel fish that died in my 12g sent my nitrates up three color bars - in a 120, it didn't register. If you can truly afford the upfront costs the rewards are fantastic. Better fish, larger corals, etc.

2) You dont' need the best of the best - as I painfully learned. Livestock does 90% of the job for you! I bought the best sand-sifter, cannister pump, etc. All for ten times the price of what a crab-costs and can do overnight!

3) Yes the upfront costs and labor are very high. Yes they definitely settle down and become incredibly routine and nominal once everything is going - but one issue, such as a kalk overdose, an anemone bomb, etc. - and you'll be spending hours (if not days) doing emergency water-changes, monitoring and correcting. If you're not easily discouraged, you'll manage fine through these disasters.

4) Research. No, seriously, research. +1 to Yote. I've learned more about water chemistry, conversion tables and livestock than I thought I would. I've also had to learn about species indexes, what's compatible with what, what eats this, converts that, etc. If you hate researching, drawing conclusions or analyzing items, you'll quickly become distraught and discouraged by this hobby. There's a lot of fact, and a lot of opinion and plenty of experience to wade through.

5) Be mindful and respectful. At the end of the day we're all a custodian of an entire ecosystem living in our bedrooms, garages, houses, etc. Be prepared to dedicate your self to the hobby in that regard and it becomes easier to deal with the ups and downs that you'll encounter, IMO.

All that aside, you can look at some BioCube or RedSea all-in-one systems. The newest BioCube models have MH (Metal Halide) lighting with glass tops and enhanced mini-sump areas that help reduce your cost and 'ease you in'. Many people on this forum, or Nano-Reefs, have them and can also provide plenty of insights and experience.

Sorry - 30... I was trying to give examples of 12, 30, 120 respective to my upgrades.

I think a Tang would have been easier in a 12g.

I'm picturing two like huge angels stacked on top of each other in a 12g tank haha. Amusing to think about but people... do that o.o

I started with a ten gallon tank with basic lightbulbs for lights and a filter hung on the back.

I had a grape bubble coral, two clownfish, and some hermit crabs.

Obviously this wasn't the best course of action... with such a tiny tank I needed to do water changes frequently and closely monitoring the tank.

Now with a bigger tank (28 gal Nano Cube) I can be more relaxed, but I still have good habits from struggling with such a small tank.

You can start a salt water tank any size. You can do it the hard way like I did, or you can take the advice from other reefers and start bigger. It all depends on personal preference. I always knew I only ever wanted a small tank, so the size I have now is perfect. If you're looking to go bigger like the picture you like from that website, start with like a 55 gal. That seems to be a good starting size for most people who want big tanks.

I love Nanos though!!!

Good luck!

My major advice is to get a LOT of opinions on something you're curious about. Ask here, ask your reef store guys/girls, read a book, search the web. Never go with just one opinion.

Thanks OmegaOmega [where did Alpha go?] for taking the time in being thourough!

Laura-Jean: I think the same way. :) nice pic by the way, I love the lights in the background. ;)

From your opinions and others I have decided i will start with FW to go safe, this is my starting list:

-go freshwater
-get a 30 to 40 galon tank
-get a filter
-get water conditioner / primer
-get an aerator
-get heater
-get water test kit
-put it close to a sink/water hose
-put it on a sturdy table or stand
-cycle
-get fish food
-get fish: cichlids seem to be a good option [dwarfs are ok for now]

I am inclined to buy everything new, even if it is more expensive, I'm a little affraid of getting defective equipment and becoming a unintended fish murderer....

I think I'm going for a 50 gallon tank, these are a couple of options:

Bowfront Tanks : Aquariums and Aquarium Supplies , FishPetLove.com
50 Gallon Bowfront Acrylic Aquarium 36x18x20

Any comments? Do you know of any other fish tank brands? Please let me know.

Thanks!

And seriously Laura-Jean, those lights are just so well fixed on the wall!

I got tired of freshwater. The selection is good. but no matter what what kind of fish I got..It would only entertain me for ahile. Freshwater fish. Well they ...swim? yeah.and eat. Maybe have a bit of personality. some.

I could seriously sit and watch my saltwater tank for hours. I'd get tired of it after a few minutes with any freshwater stuff I had. Love rocks, tiny creatures, gobys that sift sand, urchines, stuff growing up out of rock you've never see even though you got the rock like 6 months ago. I got hyroid jelly and pinnapple sponges just pop up out of no where and are apparently planning on sticking around. I bought snails that have live barnacles on their shells. I don't know about anyone else. but with one sand sifting goby and a sand sifting star..I never have to vac my sand it looks like the day I put it in there.

I'd rather run over over sized HOB filter and a low bioload than go fresh water imo. You know hey get some test strips. If you start out with a firefish and a clown or something(both are pretty hardy) and they end up dead. you not out much cash. And you figure out what happened and try again. Get one of the cheaper floating type hydrometers to check your sailinity instead of a refractometer..I don't trust those swing are hydrometers as far as I can throw them. Stay away from coral and invertabrates untill you think you got a handle on things. Your water tests will tell you if you can handle more fish or not..don't go so much by given guide lines. Ask before you buy. There are plenty of conflicts as far as fish go..but thats because they have attitudes and personality...even then its not given.

Go for a 55 long. get a HOB filter thats around double rated or more. fill the tank up with RO water...if you juuuust can't swing that..its a bad idea but you can get a regular faucet filter and also treat with water stabilizer. Toss in a small piece of shrimp to get the cycle going..buy come live rock and toss it in wait a couple weeks. and make sure your ammonia is zero and your nitrites zero..try to keep you nitrates under 40 with a fish only tank. Ideally zero. A clown isn't going to just kick off and die if your nitrites and nitrates spike..just be calm and change out some water. If your ammonia goes above zero..change out a lot of water as often as you have to to get them to zero and post questions..we'll help.

We are all here to support you. God knows i wouldn't have made it with out these people. I'd rather have saltwater tank with one sand sifting goby and live rock than a fresh water tank filled with fish. Its just more fun to watch..and you'll get the hang of it.

And hell all you have to do is tell people you have a saltwater aquarium..even if you only have one clown they'll be impressed usually. I told a chick at work I had a puffer fish..she damn near beat down my door to see it.brown chicken brown cow.

Why freshwater? If you do decide to go salt later on, you will have to re-buy everything, as the equipment is not interchangeable. Plus freshwater fish are so BORING!

You are not allowed to do freshwater!!!!!

GROW SOME CAHONAYS! Is that how you spell it?

C'mon. Do salt. Exercise your mind power. You can do it! :D

Salt! Salt! Salt! Salt! Salt!!!!!!

And thanks, haha! My picture was taken at Club 33 in Disneyland, I got really lucky and got to have lunch there earlier this year. It was such an amazing experience! The decor is beautiful. :)

Since you like my picture, you should do a salt water tank.....

Of course I like the pic! The lights are beatiful! and the chair behind you has a great finish!

Oh yeah.. you look nice too.

Ok SW.... I agree, they look nicer, more contrasts and colors, and definetly more variety.

FW... a bit more dull but easier...

Cojones.... got 2 of them ... guess i could sacrifice 1 and go FW first....

What do you think?

By the way check this out:

FishPetLove Jingle : Aquariums and Aquarium Supplies , FishPetLove.com

Funny how some try to cut on advertisng expenses!!!

Huntington Beach.... so so .... Pico Alto, Peru, much better....

Thanks again!

FW... a bit more dull but easier...

I don't know if FW is easier, I think it's just different. Kinda like riding a motorcycle, it's not more difficult than driving a car, it's just different. To me FW tanks always look dirty.

Ok, I think I'll probably hold on to my 2 COJONES and go SW reef.

Since i have an idea of where i am going to put the tank I know I want a 40 gln. nay ideas on brand names?

I spoke with Fred at fishpetlove.com they are a small company and eager to please, fred told me that he could put together a whole system for me, but that i would have to wait a bit because they are getting some new tanks, so I'll wait and see if I give him my business...

i still have reserching to do... I'll keep you posted.

Back