Do my zoas have Zoapox?

breebauer

Reefing newb
Hi again!

Since I'm still trying to accept the fact that a huge ugly worm-thing lives in my tank, I am now looking much more closely at EVERYTHING in there.
(Partly because I want to make sure the big ugly worm-thing did not get out and set up camp somewhere else in my house.)

So this brings me to my next issue that I need help with:
I have a small frag of zoas that have never looked real great since I've had them. (I actually got them for free, so it never really bothered me.)
They've never all opened up at the same time either. Usually only half the colony is open.

But now that I'm looking more closely, they look like they may have zoapox? I got that from the zoaid site: ZoaID.com! :: The definitive repository for named Zoanthids!

zooz010.jpg

But, then again, in the pictures on the zoaid site, the 'pox' looks like its more of a bump-like white spot on the zoas, and the white spots on my zoas are not bump-like, just part of the coloration, sort of. So now I'm not so sure. (The minute little white specs in my pic I think is just sand, I'm almost positive they're not eggs.)

Is it possible that this zoa frag just has coloration that looks like white spots on it?

While I'm asking questions, does anyone else know what this is?

zooz020.jpg

It's actually a little folded over in the pic, but I think it's some kind of mushroom? It's a little more meaty than my shrooms, and not a solid color. It's folded because I tried to glue it to a good spot on my rock, but apparently it didn't like it there, and detached itself and went into a crevice.

Little bit of a long post, sorry. Thanks for the help, again.

I'd about bet that those zoas have nudis.
Give them a quick fresh water dip and see if any bugs fall off.

Quick, as in 20 seconds?

I read somewhere that some people do a peroxide/freshwater dip for zoas with nudis.

Anyone else ever tried it or heard of it?

I'm not sure you have nudibranches on them but freshwater dip them anyways.It kills the nudis instantly and won't harm the zoos.About 5 minutes with dechorinated freshwater with the temp/pH set to your DT.Don't use peroxide or iodine,it doesn't work.

That thing that's folded over looks like a mushroom. There are lots of different types of mushrooms, it's just a different type than you already have.

And I agree to dip your zoas and see what falls off.

I started dipping all zoa frags in freshwater for like 5 minutes. Then they go into a 1 gallon jar with iodine and saltwater. Another 10 minutes in there. They are usually pissed off and don't open up for a week or two after that, but I seam to have healthy zoas and no nudis.

In the process of dipping zoas right now. It's a good idea as everyone else already stated, you'll be surprised at what you find..

Back