Do urchins eat coral?

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
I have had a small urchin for about six months. Its got short purple spines and its inside is white. It eats algae and when I have had a Chromi die, it ate that too.

I accept that it knocks down one of my frags every week. But recently several of my zoanthids and palythoas have suddenly sustained mortal injuries. Everything else is healthy. My favorite palythoa is a stump! My tank has nearly no algae, except for the glass so maybe its getting too hungy? Its pretty much all corraline on the rocks.

Could that little jerk be eating my coral?? Everything I read was positive about them.

My pencil tip began by grinding down a piece of white rock in my aquarium making a mess in my black sand! Lately I've found him pestering the xenia field, but I can't confirm that he's actually trying to eat them.

My pencil tip began by grinding down a piece of white rock in my aquarium making a mess in my black sand! Lately I've found him pestering the xenia field, but I can't confirm that he's actually trying to eat them.
The pencil tips aren't actually reef safe. And, as far as him grinding your rock, that's probably where they get their other name from, rock-boring urchins.

The pencil tips aren't actually reef safe. And, as far as him grinding your rock, that's probably where they get their other name from, rock-boring urchins.

Well that might explain things! He came with the full setup when I bought it, so we'll see what happens.

seems to be a common theme with the zoas. I have a longspine and a tux. had them for over a year and no issues with any corals. wonderful wonderful algae eaters and really fun to watch so im definitely happy with mine. I dont have any zoos though. My koran angel will make immediate dinner out of them.

I have had a small urchin for about six months. Its got short purple spines and its inside is white. It eats algae and when I have had a Chromi die, it ate that too.

I accept that it knocks down one of my frags every week. But recently several of my zoanthids and palythoas have suddenly sustained mortal injuries. Everything else is healthy. My favorite palythoa is a stump! My tank has nearly no algae, except for the glass so maybe its getting too hungy? Its pretty much all corraline on the rocks.

Could that little jerk be eating my coral?? Everything I read was positive about them.
I also have a brownish colored short spine urchin. I’ve had coral about two weeks now. My urchin is setting right next to a damaged coral. Coincidence?

Back