Do you clean your sump??

I was told you should clean your sump every two months or so. I usually just syphon out the stuff I dont want in it during a water change

I just cleaned mine yesterday..Did the water change and completely emptied it, removed the gunk, filled it back up.

When I look at it and think it looks dirty...twice a month I''ll just scrub some of the funk off and suck the garbage out of the bottom....I really only mess with the 1/3 that the overflows go...That's the part the gets some sediment at the bottom. I leave the LR in, then I pull the sponge off the return pump, clean it, and fire it back up. Only takes an additional 10 minutes.

I do a 20-30 gallon water change every week on Saturday...Saturday is my designated day to mess with my tank from 9am-1pm.. I'm a very boring guy.

I have never cleaned my sump in a year and a half. It doesn't really have much built up in it so I have never felt the need. I have pre-sump sponges that catches most of the detritus.

I usually clean out the stuff that settles in my sump about once or month or so.
But I dont have sponges or media in my system at all,so there is some sediment that builds up in there.

I try to clean every 4-6 weeks. Since the sump is lower than a 5 gallon bucket, I have to get in the with my aquaclear pump. I threw a hose on the outlet side and take off the screen and nipple on the inlet side so it can pick stuff up.

I clean out my sump really about 4 times a year. I use a pump and I drain everything but the fuge because it has a sand bed in it. But also the rest of the time my sump area is clean, I clean of salt crep almost everyday when I top off water. I replace my filter socks with bi-weekly water changes. I also have HUGE OCD cleanly issues....

I've never cleaned out the sump I had in my 45g in the year that I had it up and running. But I did clean out my sump last night because I was doing a major water change to try and lower nitrates. I was also doing a major cleanup of my refugium. So since I was knee deep in it, I went ahead and siphoned out whatever loose debris I could get out of the sump, scraped off algae, rinsed the chaeto I had in the sump, cleaned out the skimmer, etc.

I foresee myself cleaning it out only as needed.

yea, i only clean mine when i think it might solve a problem... otherwise, i figure if it aint broke, dont try and fix it...

I get some detritus build up on the bottom of my sump. When I do water changes, I remove the old water from the sump and I try to suck out as much of it as possible.

Back