do you have a glass lid?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I've been thinking about if I should make a mesh lid or just buy a glass lid. I like the idea and look of the glass lid but I've been told that they cause heat problems and gas exchange problems. Does anybody here have a glass lid on their tank and have you expirienced any problems with them? Any input is appreciated :)

I have them for my 120..............................but they are in the garage and not on the tank. My biggest issue was with having to clean them all the time. Depending on your lights source, you may or may not have heat issues.

I have the lids for my 180, and i ran them for about a month. They got all full of salt creep, and I was tired of cleaning them. I'm getting much better gas exchange now that I'm running an open top

I made a mesh lid using deer netting and window screen frames. I like it much more than when I had glass lids!

What happens if you don't have a lot of gas exchange? Does it affect the fish corals inverts in the tank? I personally don't like a lot of evaporation and I do weekly water changes so I could just wipe the glass each week.

what kind of tank? thought you had a tank with the compartments in the back (like the JBJ) the top won't cover the back so you will still get an exchange ?

+1 Toolman...if you have a sump/refugium, or open back of the tank, then gas exchange won't be an issue...and since you have led's, heat won't be an issue either.

Nope I just have a standard 29 gallon. I'd cut out notches in the back to fit around the skimmer that hangs on the back of the tank and for the powerhead cords so there would be a little air getting in. And I have one of my powerheads positioned at the surface of the water also. Idk if that helps oxygenation. Idk if oxygenation is even a word but I guess I just made it one lol.

Back