Do you prefer a small frag or a larger piece when you buy?

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
My first coral I bought was a Frogspawn with about 6 heads. I have been wondering though if people like to buy a smaller frag of about 1 head for a lesser price and let it grow or just buy a coral that is already thriving?

I can't afford to buy big pieces. At my LFS, frogspawn sells for $25/head, and even more if it has unique or bright colors. So I bought a frogspawn that has one head. I don't really have the option of buying the bigger $100+ pieces.

If I had to do it all over again...I would of bought all frags.Saved money and given more time before they overgrow my system.

For me I am so impatient for my tank to look the way I want it to look so I have so far gone and gotten multiple headed corals that already look established. I think that from now on I am gonna lean towards getting the frags if I can. How long do you think it would take a 1 headed frogspawn or bubble to grow to 5-6 heads?

I buy what I like. If I see a frag I like I'll buy it. If I see a corals I like I'll buy it. So I guess you can say I like it both ways.

damn that doesn't sound like its worth it. Especially if you pay 25 for 1 and you can pay $60-70 for 6 heads. Hmm I am gonna do some research on the net to see if people had success. I hope my next purchase is a Bubble Coral and some zoos

Zoas reproduce pretty quickly. I strted with a frag of six now it's got like 14 or so. I also want a bubble but still looking.

Lots and lots of different little ones. Frog spawn is usually a pretty fast grower, but 10 new heads from a two header in two years is excellent and above average. Definitely a great mother colony candidate. Have you tried fragging it yet, any coral that grows that well under T-5's would save a lot of other corals from death or a death like life, if frags are distributed. Just cut a couple back heads or lower heads, and then frag the heck out of them as they grow. Your tank has sounded like it is definately healthy enough to grow out frags well.

actually it's been one year. and most of the growth has been under pc's. and at the bottom of the tank at that. I don't think frogspawn likes as much light as some people think.

I have not owned much frogspawn and never got relly good growth with what little I have had, but it has been a long time since I have had a tank without intense halide lighting. I might just get a couple frags and try them in the back corners of a tank and see what happens.

I like smaller frags. I enjoy watching them grow and reproduce. I can't afford expensive frags. The absolute MOST I'd pay for a frag is about $50. It would have to be local and it would have to be SUPERB in quality for me to even consider it.

Back