Do you use egg crate on the bottom of your tank?

I am planning on using acrylic rods so I think I will be ok...

But when you think of the rockslide....makes you kind of nervous

I never have either. If you are careful about "planting" your base rocks in your substrate, you should be OK. I think the only worry about a rock slide would be if you didn't use any substrate and placed your rocks on the bare glass.

I never have either. If you are careful about "planting" your base rocks in your substrate, you should be OK. I think the only worry about a rock slide would be if you didn't use any substrate and placed your rocks on the bare glass.

It's the opposite way around. Placing the rocks on the substrate can cause a rock slide. Placing them straight on the bare glass makes them more secure. That way there isn't anything to shift beneath them.

+1 Biff
I do not use it either, not in any of my tanks. Just put you LR in first on the bare bottom, and then add you substrate.

I used egg crate on the bottom of both my tanks. I don't think it provides any more protection from the glass breaking in the event of a rock slide. If 100 lbs of rock fall, that plastic isn't going to stop the glass from breaking. But, I think the grids give the rock more to grip on then just laying them on the glass.

I read somewhere that it isn't quite safe placing rocks directly on the bottom glass.Sharp edges can put pressure points on the bottom glass.It makes sense but I'm not sure how true it is.Better safe then sorry,go ahead an use eggcrate.

I use egg crate in my tanks, and I love it. Cause without it, within an hour of adding rock to my 125 last year, I'd have crashed it through the bottom when a rock slipped out of my hand.

I keep a number of gobies, so rock stability is a major concern for me. I put egg crate down, the the rocks on that, then added sand. It can't hurt to have that little bit of plastic to diffuse at least some of the pressure of a small rock fall, imo.

I've never used it before, but I'm plan on it for my next tank upgrade in January. The more I think about it the more it makes me feel safe with the rocks not directly on the glass. Maybe it doesn't really make a difference, but mentally it will for me.

I read somewhere that it isn't quite safe placing rocks directly on the bottom glass.Sharp edges can put pressure points on the bottom glass.It makes sense but I'm not sure how true it is.Better safe then sorry,go ahead an use eggcrate.

If the bottom glass is tempered (and it usually is) it should be fine. The consequences of putting the rock on the sand can be a catastrophe. Here's why: Sand dissolves and critters and fish will dig causing a possible avalanche. Its happened: CLICK THIS : I'm OUT!!! DONE!! (not for the faint of heart) - 3reef Forums

Back