Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

I agree. my broker is also the lender, so I know my loan is set. i went over the itemized closing costs from today that the seller's bank sent over. It all looks legit. There is no second mortgage, my lender already looked at that, but I will ask again tomorrow just in case. I appreciate your advice and I will not get my hopes up too much (hard to do at this point). I apprecaite you watching out for me.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

I have pics of my stand. I am storing it at the LFS until I complete the move. It is solid wood construction and I think it will look great in my new place. I will order the canopy next month. Let me know what you think.

P9280003.jpg

P9280004.jpg

P9280005.jpg

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I like it... BUT (sorry, I'm regretfully adding a but) how are you going to fit a sump in there? Looks like the openings in the back are too small to fit one in, and it also looks like it'd be hard to get one in through the top, unless it's a small sump.

I measured it and a 20 gallon tank will fit underneath it. I only have a 30 gallon sump in my 125.

Congrats Doc.
The stand looks similar to my old 75g. with the same clamshell doors.I had a 24'' long sump in mine but I think I could of gotten a 30''-36'' to fit too.

Reef,

Thank you for remembering my birthday. I had a wonderful day and really enjoyed spending time away from work (I do only work three days a week, so I should not complain) and with my family. I went shopping for tank stuff, bought my stand, planned for my livestock and did a water change, carbon change, phosguard change, scraped off some coralline from the glass (that crap is everywhere - can't seem to get rid of it) and rearranged a few corals.

Tomorrow, it is time to start throwing away everything possible so the move is smooth as silk. I am also going to scope out plastic tubs to transfer rock, water and livestock. I think IKEA has some cheap.

I'm glad you had a good birthday.

I rarely ever schroll all the way to the bottom of the page but there it was....your birthday!

Happy B-day Doc!! I like the stand my brother has the same one for his 75 and it looks great. I can't wait to see the build. You tank is very nice so if your taking your time with this one I can only imagine how nice it will be.

I appreciate your sentimate about my "bithday". Reef, it was the thought that counts, not the grammar.

Biff, about Vegas, make sure you visit the tank at the front desk of the Mirage, it is also worth viewing - they have sharks there!!! Whitespotted bamboos. The Ceasar's palace tank has great sohal tangs and atlantic blue tangs.

Mirage! Caesar's Palace! Mandalay Bay! So far, three hotels on our fish list, and counting! Thanks, Doc.

When I went to Shark Reef, I must have spent an hour on the touch tank with the sharks and rays. The sunken ship with the sand tigers was also awesome.

I am excited for you to go back to Vegas. My wife and I go about every two to three months. If you are up to really good food, head to Ti (treasure Island) for breakfast and go to their buffet - it used to be called "dishes". Damn good food.

OK, next step. Powerheads. I went to my LFS to scope out those MJ900s. I found them for $22 a pop. not too bad. I was interested in comments about koralia? (SP?) powerheads and I found them as well, but at $20 MORE a box, I was not so sure. Are they truely worth $40+ a pop? do they make that much more difference. It looks like they diffuse the water into a larger area as opposed to a jet stream. Do they also ocellate? Are they really worth it is the question.

YES they are so worth it.

They don't clog up. They are a cinch to clean. They are mounted magnetically. They have really wide, strong flow, but not blasting. I believe they are worth it. I am using four #3 in my 240, and am considering getting two more.

Back