Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

ripped a page right out of my book huh Doc.

cant wait to see the pics, Do you want to borrow the helper gnomes?
IMG00100.jpg

yeah. tell that to my back. I may never walk again. Should've gotten a damn helper gnome. I even tried to pic up a bunch of Mexicans at the home depot but they were all gone trying to help Biff with her cyano problem. So, I did it all myself. I will post pics in just a sec and you can all start laughing.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

OK. So here are some pics. Please understand that as a therapist, I am not mechanically gifted at all. In fact, it took me about two hours to lay the first two rows. I worked at it for 13 hours STRAIGHT. I have enough done to start my tank, tho, so it was worth it. If I can walk tomorrow, I will get my 90 up and running. Here is how it went:

PA150002.jpg

This was the start of the day - yup this took about 2 hours. not anything like lionfish and his gnomes.

PA150003.jpg

Still two hours of work - stupid floor.

PA150006.jpg

This is what I had to cover, plus a hallway to the left and try to transition into three rooms, plus the tile into the kitchen.

PA150005.jpg

This particular part was SOOOO annoying, since I have NO idea how to maneuver the flooring around tile.

PA160008.jpg

Now I was moving. This shot was taken a little more than 6 hours after starting this retarded idea.

PA160009.jpg

Same time, different spot to look at.

PA160010.jpg

Now, I was getting somewhere, but I realized I had to figure out how to do the finish work - that kicked my a$$. It took three hours to do the finish work and I am still not all the way done, but I did put up my tank. Here is how it looks now, and I will probably finish the floor tomorrow, IF I can get my tank up first.

PA160011.jpg

PA160012.jpg

PA160013.jpg

PA160014.jpg

That baby is getting filled tomorrow!

Here is how the room looks in general - try not to look to closely for all the freakin' flaws.

PA160015.jpg

PA160016.jpg

There you go. Pics as promised. You see Biff, I like to deliver to those who are considerate enough to frequent my build site. I will be posting more pics tomorrow. I have my karma in good standing so I will have a smooth transition into new "tank-dom"

Floors look good. I have to agree they are a pain to do. We just did our second floor. Grouting is the worse. Do you need to put something under the tank stand to protect the new floor? Keep us posted.

I don't think so, it is laminate, so it should be fine. in fact, I never really thought about it. I will do some checking. If it were hardwood, then, yes. Lionfish just did his floor and I am not sure if he put anything down under his. Lionfish??? Any ideas?

- Dr Marco :sfish:

My exboyfriend and I tiled our whole house together. By ourselves. This time around, I insisted that Neal and I hire someone to do it. Tiling is way worse than putting down laminate, IMO. And if you screw up, it looks like shit and you are out a whole lot of money! You did a good job with your floors, Doc. Next time I feel like redoing mine, I am going with the bamboo wood. It looks cool and is eco-friendly! Unlike my fish tank lights...

lookin good doc '
BTW biff, that pic was taken with the cam on my phone a 1.3 mpixel
if it is not held completely still it looks like ass.

The finish work is a Bitch huh ! I woulda hated going around that tile,
Cant wait to see the first drop of water.

doc... im glad to see you have a tile kitchen! No lenoleum. My neighbor owns a tile setting company and both me and my roommate have worked for him off and on learning the trade. its great our whole house minus bedrooms is tile and laminant wood floors. its helped us get tattoos with trade labor and all other kind of cool stuff. and it looks like whoever did your floor did a great job from the small part of it i saw.

that whole floor thing can get tricky even the two of us took a while at our living room when we ran into some tight spots but you can do it! i have faith in you! tank looks good in there. i am never a wood color tank guy always black..... but in this case it matches your floor really well so it looks great! good luck with the rest of the floor and hopefully i will see some water tomorrow on here! :beerchug:

not ment to be a camera lmao !

That is the whole reason i got the wood tank, It matches alot better.

only way i will have a wood thank is if i can get one custom made or find one with cherry wood. i love the look of cherry

and lionfish that metal look on that bad ass half circle tank would match anything!!!! i wish you would have picked that thing up. it was so one of a kind

Last edited:

I know !
I heard so many horror stories on that tank that kinda put me off!
I soooooo wanted that tank , but hey i got damn near 100 gallons more Wayyy cheaper so im happy'

Alexander, you gave me warm fuzzy with the compliment. I did the floor by myself and it kicked my ass. Glad you think it looked good. Tank will have water tomorrow

no, they ride up too much. I took them off. From now on, only barbarian!!!

You people stay up waaaaay too late. I told myself, Dr Marco, check your e-mail before you go to bed. Reply to any posts you see and go to sleep. An hour and a half later, I am still getting 13 e-mails from posts. You people amaze me. Guess I am getting old and can't keep up with you young'uns. Starting to feel like Yote.

yeah doc for some reason i am still going strong. i think its because i drank coffee at like 5pm oh well

Back