Doc's Shark Tank

Doc

I don't work for anybody
Yes my friends and fans, it is true. The hype and the wait is all over. The build thread has started. I am headed to the home depot tomorrow to get the wood I need for the tank stand and I will take my sweet time in building it. I have to make sure the 2 x 4 structure will support the weight of the tank. I figure 3,000 lbs with rock, water and such. I am trying a version of a DIY plan I found online. I have one problem, the DIY shows cross beams for added support. I am planning on using my current 125 tank for the sump, which does not leave room for support beam going across the inside of the stand. I only have 12 inches of room between the length of the sump and the walls of the stand. First question to all those DIY people out there. Will the stand be strong enough with just vertical supports or are cross beam supports completely necessary? I plan on placing 2 x 4 studs every foot along the back of the tank, three on each side and the front will have two in a 1 foot section, then a two foot door, two more in a foot (in the middle of the stand) and then another two foot door and two more studs in the final section. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

My DT will be a glass 265, perfecto with dual overflows. My total volume of water with the sump will be 390 gallons. I will probably leave about 30 gallons empty in the sump for overflow needs in case of a power outage, giving me a working system of 360 gallons.

My sump will contain 300 lbs of LR, protein skimmers, filter socks, carbon, phosguard, heaters, sand bed, and a return pump back into the DT. I will not be running a fuge (sorry folks). I will be keeping various critters in the sump for my kids to play with, such as a pencil urchin, pin-cushion urchin, red general starfish, batik starfish, and a chocolate chip star.

The DT will contain 100 lbs of LR placed to maximize swimming area for my shark. I will be transferring all my soft corals and BTA into the DT, making a nice, safe home for my clownfish (total finding nemo thing, clowns and a shark - classic). I will also be setting up a few other hiding places in the tank for the other inhabitants. I am planning just under 100 inches of fish. My tentative fish list is:

Koran angel
Blue angel
Radiata lionfish
Blue face angel
2 ocellaris clowns
emperor angel
sohal tang
keyhole angel (so that the shark can eat something)
brown-banded bamboo shark

I am planning on the rule of three for the pomacanthus angelfish. If there is fighting, I will have to alter my plan (obviously) .

The tank will be in the store in June and I will have the stand built by then. I have not idea where I will be placing the stand until June, but hey... this is fun right?

So sports fans, let the fun begin. I will be posting insane amounts of pics as I make slow, but even progress on my dream tank!!!

-Doc

Sounds good Doc.But here's a little something to think about.
Instead of using 2X4s for the top frame,where the tank will sit.I'd use 4X4s to add a little more strength.I'd also use 4X4s for the outside corner posts.

Sounds good Doc.But here's a little something to think about.
Instead of using 2X4s for the top frame,where the tank will sit.I'd use 4X4s to add a little more strength.I'd also use 4X4s for the outside corner posts.

I thought about that, but my LFS buddy has a 400 gallon tank that sits on 2 x 4. He has them tripled up in each corner, all of them facing different directions so it creates almost a 4 x 4 and a 2 x 4 for stability. I figure if 2 x 4 lumber is used for houses, it should hold my tank. I will take a picture of his stand and post it along with my lumber. The only thing that worries me is if I absolutely need to use cross beams or if it will stand with just vertical 2 x 4 studs and the top 2 x 4 for the base where the DT will actually sit.

-Doc

You will get more strength with the doubled up 2x4s or you could tee them like you would when studding in a wall. Thats why they are code in house building stronger than 4x4s

You will get more strength with the doubled up 2x4s or you could tee them like you would when studding in a wall. Thats why they are code in house building stronger than 4x4s

Thats why I'm NOT a carpenter.:mrgreen:
I never would have thought the doubled 2Xs would be stronger than 4Xs.
Of course if it was me doing the building,it would be 3X3X1/4" angle iron:shock:

congrats on beating biff in tank size! 'bout time someone did.
on the stand construction, I would stay away from 4x4 post. especially the treated ones. they are very bad to warp and bow, even if they never get wet. the best and strongest thing to do would be to double a 2x4 for the corners like others have mentiones. two laminated pieces of wood is allways stronger than one solid piece. as a comparison take a 1/2 plank and break it, then take a 1/2 piece of plywood and try to break it. I would also use 2x6's instead of 2x4's. sure they were used in houses. but many years ago they were actually 2 inches by 4 inches. today they 1.5 X 3.5 inches. therefore not as strong.

Last edited:
I was planning on using the "T" formation for the corners. I am going to use 2 x 6 planks for the rim on the top where I place the tank. Let me show you the pics of the stand at my LFS, I will upload them in a bit. I am first off to home depot to buy the wood. I just got back from a home show and sushi for lunch. We will see what we can do about starting this bad boy. Oh, and one of the main reasons for the size I chose was to beat Biff. She was asking for it. Alexander, I fully expect you to come down and see my beast in person when I am finished with everything.

-Doc

doc in the corners i would use fence posts and nail the 2x4's tho that for extra support because they are thick and the tank can sit on the fence posts in the corners

I'm here for morale support Doc.Wear a back brace,I don't want you to slip a disk.

Thanks for your support. I am nimble, like a 12 year old girl, so I think I will be OK. I will be careful watching the crew of Mexicans I will rent from Home Depot deliver my tank down the stairs. :bounce:

-Doc

Thanks for your support. I am nimble, like a 12 year old girl, so I think I will be OK. I will be careful watching the crew of Mexicans I will rent from Home Depot deliver my tank down the stairs. :bounce:

-Doc

lol haaha the crew of mexicans

Here are the pics of the stand I am thinking of copying, with a few adjustments that will make it a bit stronger, like double thick along the top and better braces across the middle. Take a look. It is holding a 400 gallon acryllic tank and seems really stable when I climb on top of it

P3280001.jpg

P3280002.jpg

P3280003.jpg

P3280004.jpg

P3280005.jpg

-Doc

I hit home depot today (not to get Mexicans yet, I was the only Mexican there.) to get supplies for my stand. I will begin building my stand promptly. As I make progress, I will be posting pictures and hopefully, hearing ideas (useful ones please) about how to improve my stand and tank. The whole tank build should take til the end of July, with the majority of the work being done in one day, when I change out the 125 and replace it with the 265. I am SO fu%#*ng excited. I have wanted a tank like this since I was a little kid. YAY. Not to mention, angelfish that will convert someone here to start keeping them.

P3290007.jpg

I figure 14 2x4 should do the trick for my tank. It will be 24 inches wide and 84 long. I figure if I can get the stand down stairs, the tank should follow easily.

P3290006.jpg

I needed a new one of these to get the job done, since my ex-wife took all my tools when we got divorced several years ago and I have been lazy in replacing them all. It is no DeWalt, but should still do the trick for my stand. The ball is rolling.... slowly

-Doc

Back