Doc's Shark Tank

so doc hows that tank of yours coming?

Glad you asked. I have done....nothing. I just started a new job and I am adjusting to the schedule and trying to find time to fit in all the stuff I need to do. I still have saturdays off, but they have been filled with a lot of spring cleaning stuff and I just haven't had time to get things where I want them. It will likely be May before I can get a chance to build the stand. When I do, I will post pics of the whole thing. I will need to store the stand til I get my check from the government and then the tank will go up in one day, along with new carpet. It will be an abusive day, but will be fun nonetheless.

At least I will be able to carry the stand downstairs as a dry run for maneuvering the tank down the same stairs. If the stand fits easily, the tank will as well. I guess that will really determine it all. If I cannot get the stand down, the tank will just have to wait (and I will be pissed as hell). It is hard to measure to know if it will fit without having something the actual size of the stairwell to know. ramble, ramble, ramble. I am practicing patience at this point

-Doc

alexander, it will be unlike anything you have ever seen. I close my eyes and see beautiful full grown angelfish swimming gently in the current, blue face, emperor, koran, blue, and a full grown shark, resting on the bottom of the tank, waiting to spring to life at the smell of food. Hell ya!!!

-Doc

wow you took the stupid comment really well. maybe it is a good thing you switched fields. raised your patience level i suppose :)

***FLASH***

I started building the stand today. I have a ton of questions about sump placement. I am hoping for those of you, much smarter than I, to give me a new way to look at my stand. Here is what I have done so far.

P4260026.jpg

P4260027.jpg

P4260028.jpg

-Doc

Here are a few questions: I have been toying with staggering the sump partially under the tank and open behind the tank, that would keep the tank lower so I could play with the shark more easily. The problem is that would leave the entire back of the stand open and not stable and I fear the tank would fall through the single 7 foot 2x4. Probably not possible. I cannot imagine that even if I build three sides super strong, leaving the entire back without support beams, would render the stand too weak.

Now then, the bigger question: where to plan for the pre-drilled overflow holes. I fear that the drilled holes in the glass will line up over a part of the stand that I have build with wood and will require drilling through the stand to run the hoses. I have never owned a pre-drilled tank and don't know how far from the edge of the tank the holes are drilled. It would be nice to know so I can plan the stand around leaving those areas open. Any help would be appreciated.

-Doc

The current plan is to finish the stand and then lower it onto the 125. I have made the space in the middle of the beams 1/2 inch larger than the width of the 125. It should just barely fit over it. I will position the sump (current 125 tank) about 6 inches away from the wall (so I can get to the outlets and such) and then, lower the entire stand on top of the sump. The sump will rest directly on the carpet. I am just concerned about how to make sure the pre-drilled holes are left open without compromising the strength of my stand.

-Doc

I cant wait to see this thing come alive! i may have to drive down and see it :eek: what room is behind the wall your going to have your tank up against? mine was up against a closet so i gutted the closet and drilled a couple holes for the plumbing and put the entire sump in there to make sure i could make it the size i wanted and not be restricted on the plumbing, skimmer and adding on to the sump.

I cant wait to see this thing come alive! i may have to drive down and see it :eek: what room is behind the wall your going to have your tank up against? mine was up against a closet so i gutted the closet and drilled a couple holes for the plumbing and put the entire sump in there to make sure i could make it the size i wanted and not be restricted on the plumbing, skimmer and adding on to the sump.

Behind it is my sons' room. That pretty much rules out being able to turn it into a sump room. I have no choice but to work with under or behind the stand. The problem is that if I put the sump behind the tank and lower the DT down 20 inches or so, it makes the combo of the DT and sump stick out over four feet into the room, cutting it up pretty bad. I don't think I can talk my way into that!!! My wife has been sweet to re-arrange the room with me and figure out how to maximize the space for the flat screen, sectional and massive tank.

-Doc

Tough call folks. I need some advice here. I just got a line on a bigger tank, a MUCH bigger tank....500 gallons. :shock:

Here is the problem, trying to fit it down the stairs and into a room which has a door and frame that is only 29 inches wide. The tank is 32 inches wide. Now then, how on earth can I remove the door frame, part of the wall, and replace it to fit this MONSTER tank into my basement? Any ideas? Is it even worth looking at? It comes with the tank, lights, hood, etc, for (get this) a grand. thats right $1,000. Acryllic, side overflow, decent looking stand, $1,000. I was going to spend more than that for a tank half that size. Oh, hell, I need some help here. There is another guy looking at it and I think I may sweeten the deal, but it is KILLING ME!!!!! Any contractors out there who can help me figure out this logistical nightmare?

-Doc

Back