Doc's Shark Tank

It seems as if my planning is not very good. I am having a hell of a time trying to get my 125 to fit in the sump area of the 265. It is just too big. I need to put in cross beams in the stand for support for the weight across the stand and it is cutting into the room for the 125. It may not fit or it may not be worth the hassle to keep modifying my plans. I may have to resort to a 75 gallon sump that is only 4 feet long as the 6 foot length is creating problems for me. the stability of the stand is WAY more important than having a 125 sump. Also, I can sell my 125 and stand for $300 around here and use the money for a rocking skimmer.

I am thinking octopus for my skimmer. Any other ideas that would be good for a skimmer?

-Doc

i would snatch that tank and stand from ya but my parents would kill me. lol, only place i would have to put it is there house.

find a way to fit it. I will sell it to you now. I am getting my new tank in 2 weeks. tick, tock. :D

-Doc

get a 75 for your sump and use the 125 as your hospital or frag tank.

I thought of that. They only problem is that I don't have room for 2 massive tanks in my house. Kinda sucks, but it is a great idea!

I did find a 90 gallon tank online that I secured with a bit of cash and I will use that as my sump. Not a bad compromise ;)

-Doc

i've always wanted to put together a frag farm. I even at one time debated on building a insulated shed with heating and ac and running one in there. would love to at some point but i dont have the means for it right now. I love planning things out like that, gives you an excuse to go spend cash at home depot :D

i've always wanted to put together a frag farm. I even at one time debated on building a insulated shed with heating and ac and running one in there. would love to at some point but i dont have the means for it right now. I love planning things out like that, gives you an excuse to go spend cash at home depot :D

Come get my 125 and turn it into a frag tank.... Shoot you could be one of four people on this forum to have actually seen my face!

-Doc

Doc I know thisis awfully late in the thread to be making a comment but I just read through the first few pages and jumped to the back. Using a tank stand for an acrylic tank as a pattern for a all glass tank is a case of gross over build. An acrylic tank must be supported under its entire bottom, an all glass tank is designed so that it only has to be supported at the four corner of the tank. a perimeter support as offered by commercial tank manafactures is their for reasons of structural bracingn ot for reasons of supporting the tanks weight,. That is why it is only 3/4' thick wood or even 3/4" particle board. A single 2" x 2" pine, fir or spruce post in each corner of the tank could easily support your tank if you could keep them upright. Your tank regarless of the size it is, could easily be supported with a plywood box of 3/4" plywood with a 2" x 2" post in each corner,with 1" x 4" running horizontal betwween each post top and bottom. Place your bottom shelf on the bottom boards and use water proof glue and screws on all mating surfaces. As long as you leave a 4" to 6" band around the sides top and bottom you can cutout the plywood panels in between all 1" x 4" framing members. This would actually supply you with a stand stronger than a commercial stand made specifically for an all glass tank of your size. If you decide to use the acrylic tank stand as a pattern for your tank, you do not need any of the cross braces except the two end top cross pieces, nor do you need any plywood on the top of the stand for an all glass tank. You would need them all the cross braces and plywood top for an acrylic tank.

farmington, eh? not too bad. Yeah. Just about an hour. When it is all said and done, I might send you an invitation, as long as you told others that I am better looking and ripped than I really am (I only walk around without my shirt on at home) :bounce:

-Doc

farmington, eh? not too bad. Yeah. Just about an hour. When it is all said and done, I might send you an invitation,

Awesome, im in Lehi from time to time visiting family.

I might send you an invitation, as long as you told others that I am better looking and ripped than I really am (I only walk around without my shirt on at home) :bounce:

But thats the truth of course, as we all know :scratchch

Took a few shots of the finishing of the frame of the stand. I ran into yet another unscheduled problem in regards to the drilled overflow holes. I measured the tank and they are 8 inches from the corner of the tank, but line up directly over the 2x4 that I had planned for the back brace. I decided to change the plans for having a 2x4 running across the back in lieu of a box and two posts, connected with a 2x4. Fatman (and I believe he knows what he is talking about), recommended that just the corners need to be supported and that I was likely over-building my tank. I took his advice and posed up the corners, and made a support box in the middle. I think it will work to support the glass tank. I will post pics in a bit.

-Doc

So, here we go with the pics from earlier. Sorry about the delay, I went to the home depot to get the finishing wood and molding. I am a bit nervous as finish work is not my thing, but hell, it is about time I figured it out!

P5010034-2.jpg

Here is the post I was talking about earlier. I have one on each side to provide strength on the corners in the back since I do not have a full brace across the back of the stand.

P5010036.jpg

this is the box I put in the middle of the back to support some of the weight. I had to leave the two areas open for plumbing for the bulkheads

-Doc

Back