Does anyone know about this.

gapiz

Reefing newb
I had a very bad experiance last night with one of my clown fish. I went out for about an hour and when I returned, I found that he jumped out of the tank and was laying on the rug dried out. I decided to take the chance and put him in some water, to which he started to breath and move. He appeared to be somewhat out of it, so I decided to place him in the refugium overnight so none of the other fish would nip at him and give him some time to get back together, if he was going to survive. Well lo and behold, when I got home from work today, he was swimming around and responding as if nothing ever happened. I decided to return him to the main tank and observe him to make sure others would not bother him. He seems to be readjusting fine, but I noticed that it appears that he can not go into his host anemone with the other clowns. It appears as if he has stopped producing the slime coat that protects them. The tentacles apprear to stick to him and he just darts away from it. Has anyone ever experienced this and is there something that can be done or do I have to hope for the best that he will regenerate the slime coat?

first off that is a crazy story and congrats on saving the clown, second you said with the other "clowns" is that implying you have more then two? and third i dont know if he will generate another slime coat

Yes there are others. The are false percula clowns. All of the clowns have been living in this anemone. It's very large and there is plenty of room. It also houses a porcelain crab. What worries me is that if he doesn't reproduce the slime coat, the anemone will make a snack of him.

How many other clowns are using that anemone?

If you can get to a fish in time,carpet surfing isnt always fatal.But the carpet has probably left lent all over the clown,which will make it take longer for him to produce his slimecoat.He'll eventually get it back,It'll just take a while.

Total of three. They are all small and the anemone is quite large. There is no fighting between the clowns, if that is where your going.

once they get bigger, and one establishes itself as the female one of the other two will be kicked out of the nem if not killed

Well, some good news. I came home today and the clown is back in the anemone. He appears to have adjusted well, and is having no problems. Also found out what I long suspected after he jumped out. A pygmy angel, who is somewhat aggressive was the probable cause of him jumping out. I was watching last night and due to the agressiveness, he started chasing a gobie to the point of him jumping out of the tank. Well see how he likes living in the refugium by himself for a while.

Back