Does anyone know the answer

14 gallon nanocube

Reefing newb
Hello all just a silly question but Is there a formula for how much water live rock will displace in a reef tank.just wondering if there is general rule of thumb like 100 lbs of rock = x gallons.Hard to believe in 20 years plus i never thought about this.thanks in advance for your help

Nope, because different rocks are going to be of varying densities. I guess you could make a formula for types of rock which tend to be uniform in composition (i.e. Caribbean rock is pretty dense; Fiji rock is pretty light; Tonga branch rock is also dense).

Sounds like a fun science project for the weekend. You could always fill a bucket with water put the rock in and measure the overflow of water this will give you the answer that you are looking for. I have wondered the same thing.

There is 231 cubic inches in a gallon of water-so figure out your cubic inches of rock and that should be your displacment value, porositity of rock has some effect but your looking at space /volume

I agree with Biff. I bought 15lbs of LR from one LFS and it really wasnt that much physically then I bought 8lbs of dry rock online and it took up twice as much space!

It is how much space the rock takes up-it is a volume thing weight/density has little/or nothing to do with it-figure out many cubic inches of rock you have and knowing that there is 231 cubic inches of water in gallon that is your displacement-not looking to argue just answering a question -simple science

If you have a very, very good refractometer. You can add a specific amount of RO water, measure the change in salinity and then calculate how much salt water is in the tank. You can google the exact formula.

Of course, if you have not yet set up your tank just track the amount of water added.

Wow, if you put a rock 12"x 4" x 4" and it weighs 5lbs and a rock the same size but weighs 10lbs what one displaces more water?? there both the same! it is the area/volume they take up(displacement) 12"x4"x4"=192 cubic inches 1gallon water= 231 cubic inches-densitity of saltwater/sg is a weight thing-

Wow, if you put a rock 12"x 4" x 4" and it weighs 5lbs and a rock the same size but weighs 10lbs what one displaces more water?? there both the same! it is the area/volume they take up(displacement) 12"x4"x4"=192 cubic inches 1gallon water= 231 cubic inches-densitity of saltwater/sg is a weight thing-

You are right.

Use this link to estimate water volume then see article below:

Aquarium System Volume Calculator

I am not sure where this article originated (its been copy/pasted many times) but it is the best way to calculate water volume:

It all begins with knowing your current salinity in ppt (parts per thousand) or Specific Gravity. In our example we'll use 1.026, or 35 ppt salinity. Next, we will need to estimate the total volume. This is our starting point. In my case, I have the system referenced above. I have some live rock and corals, and my sump is about 75% full of water. Using 90 gallons for the display tank, and 15 gallons for the 3/4 full sump, that's 105 gallons. I estimate that I have about 1 cubic foot of live rock and sand in my display tank. Using a web reference called online conversions.com, I found out that a cubic foot of space is about 7.5 gallons of liquid. So if 105 gallons is displaced by about 7.5 gallons, that brings us to a little under 100 gallons. To simplify the math, let's call it 100 gallons.

OK! So we know our specific gravity is 1.026, or 35 ppt; and we've estimated total volume of water at 100 gallons. Let's move on.

Using 100 gallons as my assumption, then I know if I add 5 gallons of plain RO/DI water, (5% of the system's estimated volume) it should lower my salinity by exactly 5%. Math tells us 35 ppt lowered by 5% would yield 33.25 ppt. To review; I plan on adding 5 gallons of RO/DI water to my system, to dilute my salinity by 5%, yielding a new tank salinty of 33.25 ppt, or a SG of 1.024-1.025. I can use my refractometer to verify this. I used the chart below to extrapolate my SG values. The picture below is tiny, but click on it to reveal a larger view.

So I've added 5 gallons of RO/DI water to my system and wait a few hours to reach equillibrium. If my guess of 100 gallons was accurate, I would anticipate a new salinity of 1.024-1.025.

When I measure the salinity, my refractometer tells me it's actually 1.023, or 31 ppt. So instead of a 5% drop in salinity, we experienced an 11% drop. That's no problem. This tells me that my estimation was 6% off. Instead of the system volume being 100 gallons, it's was really more like 94 gallons. I know I'm more like 94, and not 106 gallons because a greater movement in salinity was effected by a lesser volume of water to start with. Make sense? I know my guess was too high because my salinity drop was greater than expected.

I could stop here, satisfied that my total system volume is about 94 gallons, but I could also start over--just to verify and further dial in my total system volume. If I start over I can either adjust my salinity back up to 1.026, or start with my new figure of 1.023. For me, I like 1.026, so I'm going to add some salts to the system and keep things consistent.

If I trust my math, my actual volume is 94 gallons. I can verify this the same way as above. I'll dilute my system by 5%, or 4.7 gallons. Since a gallon is 128 ounces, I determine that 4.7 gallons is about 602 ounces, or 18.8 quarts (well, close enough).

For a final review, I anticipate that after adding 4.7 gallons of water, my new salinity is going to be 1.024-1.025. If it's not, it should be very, very close. If the resulting salinity is higher than I expected, my guess was too low, and there's actually more water in the system than I thought. Conversely, a lower salinity reflects my guess was high, and there's less than 94 gallons.

Trial and error will get you there if you perservere. Math doesn't lie.

Hopefully this short article has inspired you to figure out your entire system's liquid volume. This information could be valuable if you experience an outbreak of flatworms, or if you decide that you'd like to lower your salinity by a point or two. Knowledge instills confidence. I KNOW that when I add 3.2 ounces of Solution A, my calcium level really will go from 420ppm to 440ppm. The more control we have over our captive reef system, the better the position we are in to husband our inhabitants.

Sen, a cubic inch of water with a specific gravity 1.026 weigths more than a cubic inch of water with a SG 1.023 the volume is same! SG is related to temp also, another variable-I know were your going with the refractometer but its a bit over complicated and not anymore accurate than knowing that there is 231 ci in a gallon of water-what your conversion link is based on-I do agree that knowing your actual water volume is needed for proper animal care

Back