Does coralline eat baking soda?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My coralline has had a significant die back especially where the light is strongest and my alkalinity has been chronically low. I have been dosing with unbaked baking soda to keep alkalinity high. According to reefkeeping mag, coralline will suck a lot of alk out of the water. Alk can consists of different things. Will keeping alk high with baking soda help my coralline grow?

I just use Reef a and b twice a week, and sometimes put in an extra dose of the B. Coraline is doing well so far.

Yes, coralline algae (actually anything that uses the calcification process) will use alk, calcium and mag in a set ratio of aprox 1 meq/l alk, 18 ppm calcium, 2 ppm mag.

Yes, coralline algae (actually anything that uses the calcification process) will use alk, calcium and mag in a set ratio of aprox 1 meq/l alk, 18 ppm calcium, 2 ppm mag.

Yeah, but do they particular types of carbonates from baking soda cause coralline to grow? I had the impression that alk can consists of many different things and perhaps not all cause coralline growth, true?

I you keep it on the lower side of the scale you will get better coralline growth. the higher end will actually slow your growth.

I have a couple maintenance contract that are acrylic tanks that we keep the alk higher so there won't be so much to scrape off tank.

Back