Does cycling kill coralline?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Does cycling kill coralline? Can the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates produced by a normal cycle kill coralline in a substantial way?

I don't think it would...I've heard recent stories of a few newbies here getting live rock with coralline on it and the algae spreading even while the tank is cycling. I think the transfer of rocks between tanks, exposing it to air is what kills it, not the water conditions.

I don't think it would...I've heard recent stories of a few newbies here getting live rock with coralline on it and the algae spreading even while the tank is cycling. I think the transfer of rocks between tanks, exposing it to air is what kills it, not the water conditions.

+1 my coraline start growing when i was back in the apartment and when i moved none of it died off it growing again and im at my new house :D

Yeah but if there is enough ammonia --it will kill anything.

Yeah, your right...if there were enough in the tank...but when you think about it, that will have to be an extremely high number, which is probably higher than any cycling tank will go thru. A person would probably have to set their tank up for failure before it even got started for the ammonia to be that high. :)

Its true Smitty is right because my rock had a ton on it and my Ammonia was at .5 with my Nitrates at 50 and it is smiling away.

I even have new sponge growing in that water but I also have Snail, Hermits, Starfish, Anemones and a Goby in that also with other sponges so go figure.

Back