Does this look like Apitasia??

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
it's amazing the things that continue to pop into my tank out of nowhere, but this one i dont think i want, does this look like aiptasia? sorry it's so small i cant even get a very good look at it with my own eyes.

003_449564.jpg

if it is aiptasia it's very small and would be hard to inject while it's in the tank, it's on a small piece of live rock that i could easily remove from the tank and make it easier to inject. i've seen in several posts the mention of kalkwrasser what exactly is kalkwrasser. could i dip this rock in it to make sure that it takes care of any more that may be lurking on the rock?

I dont have a peppermint shrimp yet but would like one, are they reef safe? however i dont wont to rely on a shrimp to get rid of the whole aiptasia anemone, if this is the first one to sprout i wanna make sure i kill it off for good. and hopefully prevent it from spreading or coming back.

Yes, the Peppermint shrimp is reef safe. And why not rely on a shrimp to control the aptasia?? The shrimp will help prevent them from comming back and spreading. I think it is the safest way of getting rid of them rather than using some type of supplement or chemical.

Now, however, with the peppermint shrimp I hear that it is hit and miss to which the shrimp will actually eat them.

I guess, this is my recomendation, and it worked for me. Since you want to get a peppermint shrimp the first place, I would give it a whirl.

I would about bet that a couple of pepperments would take care of any aptasia you got.
BTW Newb,its kinda hard to tell cause its so small,but it does look like aptasia.
And,even if you happen to get pepperments that wont eat aptasia,there still awesome lil scavengers.

well ..it also looks like curly Q anemone..i have a small one and yours looks identically...but if i were you.. just to make shure..ill step on it...its better to act now...later it could turn into a plague...

Looks like apstasia to me. You dont really inject them you more or less smother them. You a plactic medicine syringe and smother them. What I did was pluck what I could out and then covered the hole or crack they were in with super glue gel, and the little rock that had them I just pulled out for a week and let it dry.

Its definitely Aiptasia...if you don't have any corals attached to the rock,remove it and squirt a little boiling water on it.I had an aiptasia break out recently,bought 3 peppermint shrimps.It took a little while but no more aips.

Just a simple squirt of boiling water? sounds like a easy safe way to start, then i'll get some peppermint shrimp cause there cool and will help prevent any further outbreaks, thanks for the input everyone. i knew i could count on ya :beerchug:

I have never tried boiling water. It for sure is aptasia. Get rid of it. I have used a product called "Joe's Juice" that has killed every piece that I have ever found. Kills them the first time...everytime. Just keep it away from your other corals you want to keep alive. Turn off your powerheads and smother the little bugger. Good Luck

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I've heard good things about joe's juice. i tried the boiling water yesterday and so far it's worked, today im gonna run by the fish store and look for a fish some mushrooms and a peppermint shrimp.

Peppermint shrimp are the best way to go. You don't get the immediate results as boiling a rock or injecting the anemone. The key with the shrimp is that while you see just the one annoying anemone... there are probably dozens more that you cannot see but the shrimp can!

i wouldnt even worry about aptasia. i had a bunch of it on my aqua-cultured live rock. added a couple peppermint shrimp, some emerald crabs, hermit crabs, and snails...now there is only maybe 1 or 2 small ones in there...took the crew maybe a good month before i really noticed it was almost gone.

P1010032.jpg

steve

Fishhead - I notice you have a hypo tang in your tank... he is going to get beyond too large for your 29.

They need large tanks to thrive (90+ gallons)

He might be okay now as he is very small - but soon he will become stressed out because of lack of room. Stress on fish is very bad.

I agree with going with a peppermint shrimp. You don't have to have aiptasia to enjoy a pair of them in your tank -- I have two and have never had aiptasia, and they are cool to watch at night, and they don't hurt anything, but on the plus side I don't have to worry about having an aiptasia outbreak.

Back