Does this Skimmer fit my needs?

ryang thats a nice looking skimmer, is it for designed for in sump??

biff, were you talking about my choice or ryan's??

She was talking about the one you posted, I think its an in sump skimmer that I posted, not positive. Trusted brand with applicable size

oh ok biff, but i think i like the one ryan pointed out to me now. Due to the fact that its rated for more an extra 30 gallons and its a little cheaper. And isnt octopus a great brand??

i have heard coralife skimmers are junk but dont take my word on it, i've never used one. Are you planning on a reef setup? Just remember you get what you pay for, and sometimes you pay more for what you get.

oh ok biff, but i think i like the one ryan pointed out to me now. Due to the fact that its rated for more an extra 30 gallons and its a little cheaper. And isnt octopus a great brand??

Octopus changed there name from ASM (the skimmer i have and there no good) but supposedly there being built better now, just what i've heard.

Coralife skimmers are good once they're broken in. Mine picks up lots of crap. I have to empty tthe cup at least three times a week. I'm planning on adding a tubing and having it fill a jug but hasn't done it yet.

I use an Octopus skimmer and I like it a lot. I highly recommend Octopus, and I'd recommend it over the Coralife one you linked to earlier.

Needle wheel technology is an advancement over Beckett type or down flow type skimmers. Admittedly the Coralife skimmer is made of extruded acrylic and so is the other skimmer, and the needle wheel skimmer works better at a smaller operating cost. I would choose the Coralife as it is more efficient and made of the same materials. A needle wheel is also quiet where as the other skimmer is not. Plus downflow skimmers inherently have clogging problems. I have used every imagineable type of skimmer over the years and find the needle wheel skimmers the best advancement in skiimers since venturis. Needle wheels use a venturi principle plus a needle wheel to chop up the air drawn in through a venturi. Definitely the most efficient, quietest skiimers that have ever been available on the market. And they are sold in all sizes and price ranges. Light weight, heavy weight, small, large or HUGE.

Last edited:
@fatman-thanx for the info. im still trying to decide between the two. They both seem to have there pros and cons. wich model do you have? Is it modded?

@biff-How quiet or loud is your Octopus?? What model do you have??

@piggy-How quiet ot loud is your coralife?? What model you have??

The Coralife is a pretty decent skimmer for the money.Finicky and takes some adjustments in the beginning but works well when properly dialed in.

This is one of the few agreements between Fatman and me.Go with a needlewheel design.I just don't buy into the becketts and downdrafts.A needlewheel/venturi will work just fine and save electricity plus its much more simple to adjust.If you want something a little better than go with the Octopus needlewheel or recirculating needlewheel.The former is about the same price as the Octopus downdraft you linked to.

The Octopus needle wheel skimmers are made of a heavier walled cell cast plastic and can stand up to accidents witout breaking as do the TurboFlotor and Coralife which are made of cheaper extruded thin wall plastics. I run TurboFlotors because I get a good price on them and because I like their pumps better than Coralife or Octopus. I have had to glue up a lot of cracks though, and if I was paying straight retail prices would buy the heavier needle wheel Octopus skimmers instead. I run TurboFlotor 1000 skimmers. I believe probably every TurboFlotor collection cup I own has at least one glued up crack in it. ASM needle wheel skimmers are also made of cheap extruded plastic.

Last edited:
Back