Does where a fish comes from matter?

BL1

So, I was looking on LiveAquaria today, and under their True Percula Clownfish (a few other fish have that too) they have all different places listed that the fish come from. I'm curious what that means and why/if it's important. Sorry if this is already out there somewhere but, none of the books or other forums I've read have said anything about it.
Brian

Not sure either, but have noticed that some fish collected from the Red Sea are more vibrant in color, and are usually more expensive also

I know it can make a differance as to where they come from as to what temps etc they like. Now how to figure this out...I do not know. I think most tropical fish we get have pretty much the same requirements? I wouldnt want to put a fish off the Florida coast or california coast in our tanks though I am sure they are differant.

It's more of a courtesy for the buyer and to justify the cost.There maybe somebody other there that keep species specific to a region.Coloration,hardiness and cost difference is what I get out of it.

For example the scott's fairy wrasse have different coloration depending where it was collected.An Australian elegance coral is hardier than the Jarkartas.Remember,anything with Aussie,Australia will come with a premium.

Thanks everyone, I know with some of the fish they sell there, they have different pics for the ones that have diff. color patterns from the different regions and such. I wasn't really sure though with the clowns though and a few other because I thought they were pretty standard across the board (as far as colors go, for the same species).

...You really shouldn't be buying wild caught clowns. Only buy captive bred. There is no reason to take those animals from the wild, as they are commonly bred all over the place in captivity.

When my tank finally gets set up, I'll be getting an Ocellaris, I was just wondering about the True Percula since that was the one I saw with all the different places they came from

Maybe you should try some rose petals on the bottom of the tank and some candles next to it, a little Barry White on the stereo and give them an hour :censored:

Maybe have that video playing in front of the tank they're in ... to get them in the mood
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfyvXAp9IE]YouTube - ocellaris clownfish breeding[/ame]

Back