Doing MH!

bobby

I like to do bad things.
Well I decided to build my own MH. I'm going with a 175watt light for my 30 and see how it goes and how hot it gets. I ordered the ballast 2 days ago and just got it in, now I just need to order the E39 mogul socket, bulb, and go to home depot to get the box and wires. I will have a build thread on this in a week or two after I get the rest of the stuff, this way anyone else whos into DIY as much as I am can try it.

I so excited I cant wait for the rest of the stuff to start the thread.LOL

hey bobby what size was that t5 light fixture you had, gotta look for a light soon when i get some xtra money traded my nano cube with some xtra stuff and some corals for a 75 gallon tank and stand. Now i got to find a 48" t5 setup for sale.

D it was 48 inches but I sold it on RC already.

Rigo I'm going to try to controll the heat by fans and barriers. My plan is to build the canopy up a little higher put a pain of glass under the light to help stop the heat alittle and protect the bulb, then I'm putting a fan in the top of the canopy to blow over the bulb. The ballast will be remote so I shouldn't have to worrie about the heat from that.

Yote this is the only thing I got so far but I just ordered the bulb and the reflecotr with a mogul socket onit. I was going to build a reflector but they're only 20.00 bucks more when you buy the socket so I thought why not make sure I have pro reflection in stead of my own.LOL Well here is a pic of the ballast.
mypictures.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the bulb I ordered.
175 W Watt 14000K Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Bulb Lamp - (eBay item 260167437101 end time Oct-07-07 06:48:26 PDT)
This is the reflector set I just ordered.
MH Parabolic Reflector Set w/ Mogul Base - 6161007

Sound like a pretty good plan.
Just remember that the glass pane will actually magnify the light and heat from the bulb.

good score on the halides bobby. i have been wanting some too. but, i'll have to wait on the cash for a while. You just can't beat halides i.m.o. I love the shimmer of halides. to me the heat is the only drawback.

Yeah Yote I was kinda worries about the glass acting like a heat source but I'm hoping the fan running right across the bulb and ontop of the glass will cool everything down enough. Another trial and error quest.LOL Well we will see when I get everything in and wire her up. I can hardly wait.

Hello my name is Bobby, and I am addictide to DIY!

It's all I can think about today. I came home early to day because my wife is sick and I cant stop thinking about building this thing.LOL

Ok so I officially have ants in my panties.LOL I deffinetly have all the wiring figured out, I just have to wait on the bulb from ebay and reflector from hellolights to get here. Man I can't wait I'm ready for the project. I might even try making a pendant for the reflector to go in, in my welding class. I can't stand the freaking wait.

I think I need a case of cold one's.LOL Todays alittle better. I been busy taking care of the kids and meking the sick wife food and such.

Well I got the box, wire, wire nuts, and reflector. I have everything just waiting on the bulb STILL. I ordered it 1 week ago at the same time I ordered the reflector and got the reflector in yesterday, but still no bulb. Pics coming in a min.

Here's two pics of the reflector and mogul socket I got from hellolights.com.
mypictures058.jpg
[/IMG]
mypictures057.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the ballast and box all wired up with the top off to see inside.
mypictures059.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's the wire going into the box. I'm not real crazy about the orange but the cord was on sale for 3.99 so I got it instead of green.
mypictures060.jpg
[/IMG]
mypictures061.jpg
[/IMG]

mypictures062.jpg
[/IMG]

Now all I have to do is wait on the dang bulb.LOL

Back