Doing MH!

Great job Bobby!
I envy your DIY skills.

This is not an insult to you:
Have you thought of starting your own club-CARC(cheap ass reefer club).I figured you are always DIYing stuff and looking for bargains.

HAHA Not a bad idea! LOl I do love to DIY not to just save money but the experience. I could have bought this hole light set up for about 30.00 bucks cheaper than I bought the parts, but I just love to be able to know I can do it.

I noticed the reflection of a corona bottle in the first tank shot. are you getting you're fish drunk? or did you run out of salt and decide to dip the bottle in the tank for that little extra flavor?

I have noticed alittle bit more, but not soo much that it really affects the tank. Yesterday I had it on 5 hours and it raised the tank from 81 to 84, but I have my air off and it got warmer yesterday. When I got home the thermostat said it was 83 in the house. So I dont think the bulb actually warmed the tank up much.

Thanks. Yeah everything seem to like the change and took well to it. I was worried it might be too much light going from pc's to MH, but everything looks great.

Be careful if you have any SPS, Bobby. It took several weeks, but some of mine eventually bleached out under my new lights. It was such a slow progression that I didn't really notice it until it was too late :(.

No, I got SPS. Just sotys. I don't like SPS so I doubt I'll own any. In the future I want to add clams and a diff nem, and I think thats about it. Maybe some different LPS's.

hey bobby you coming up to fragswap tomorrow, lots of good corals, cheap, worth it just for the raffle items, there is even a calcium reactor in raffle.

Raffle Items for the Swap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Foster and Smith - $25 Gift Card
Dr. Mac's Pacific East - $? Gift Card
Reef Geek - some 54W ATI T5 bulbs
Atlantis Aquarium - (4) $25 gift Certificates
Premium Aquatics - PH Controller
The Reef Stop - pfo reflector
Two Part Solution & Reef Chili -
1 gallon pail of Kalkwasser
1 gallon pail of Norit Rox 0.8 Activated Carbon
RO replacement filter set A color indicating cartridge refill
800g packet of palletized phosphate remover

Local
Nemo's Pets = $25 gift card
Marine Solutions - Coralife Calcium Reactor

As we get more I will update this post.

this is what they have on our own website for slash, there could be more stuff there.
were trying to get a lot of guys to trade and give corals away for free, kinda a donor coral program, some guys will trade and give away stuff in first hour than sell the rest, and usually towards end of swap some don't want to take much back so they let stuff go real cheap or free.

Sounds like it would be fun though. Man I wish I lived closer or we had a club near hear. This country crap sucks.LOL

I hear you, midwest country crap... I went to an aquarium society today that not a single member had saltwater... was still fun and got some crazy deals at the auction, like a 55 gal tank for 9$.. and a box of goodies for 5$. fun ride home, 2 ppl, a 55 gallon tank, a 5 gal and a 4 gal and a big box of stuff, (no trunk due to subwoofers...) in a 2 door bimmer.
About the build though, looks awesome! If you dont mind me asking how much did that all run you? you said 30$ more than buying it outright? And about that glass pane idea, prolly not a good one. If MH light is anything like sunlight (which I think it is) shortwave radiation. It will hit the pane and once it hits a colored object it will turn into long wave radiation (heat). The glass doesnt necessarily magnify or amplify it at all, unless its curved, but it will let light through and not let heat pass back through... according to my geography teacher anyway, lol.

Back