Dollars and cents

chross12

Reefing newb
I would greatly appriciate some estimates for setting up a reef tank.
A: up to 50 gallons
B:50-100
C:100 to 150-200.
Here is the list of products that I assume I would need for each application. 1. a glass or acrylic aquarium, apprioate poundage of the live rock, heater, PROTIEN SKIMMER, lights enough for 3-5 watts per gallon, live sand (enough to cover bottom 2-3 inches) powerheads (enoughto move apprioate gallons for the size), and NO CANISTER, OR BIOWHEEL TYPE FILTER. As I have no experience on wet/dry type system , this is all I need?Could I get a ballpark of each option A, B, C; as well any stores that offer complete packages at a CHEAP price? Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.:sfish:

I would say somehwere between 25-50$ per gallon depending on the extravagance of the equipment. You would also need a sump, ro/di unit, and probably a couple heaters.

I think your best bet would be to buy a setup off craigslist or a forum. When people get out things usually go pretty cheap (compared to what you actually would pay for them).

The going rate around here for a tank set up is around $200.00 for the set up,then $100 for maintance.

I spent 1200 getting my 47 setup, that does not include the cost of a skimmer, as I was given one. Only mistake there was a 60 dollar bio wheel filter. Otherwise it was all needed.

A large part of your expense is the live rock. My lfs charges 7 to 9 bucks a pound. So if I had bought it all from them I would have spent almost a grand just on that. Look around for your stuff. I got almost all of my rock from an 8 hour round trip because its at about half the cost.

There is nothing cheap at all about this hobby. Its extremely rewarding though and a sweet way to let out stress. Once you have it setup you can choose how much you spend based on what you want to add. But it gets up there fast.

With my current setup, I got a 45g for free, horrible return pump, plus around 40lbs of live rock, and sand.

- I spent around $80 on an overflow box
- Around $10-15 in plumbing (pvc and fittings).
- A used 20g for $15 from my lfs to use as a sump
- Around $20 worth of acrylic to make baffles (separators) for the sump,
- $30 used skimmer, and $70 for a skimmer pump (it's a crappy skimmer, but it works for now -- i have a small bioload and chaeto to help w/ nitrates)
- around $250 I think for an RO/DI
- $70 i think for a refractometer
Then of course I pay around $25/box of salt

But definitely scour Craigslist. Just a caveat when buying a tank, per my own experience -- check for leaks before you pay!! I bought what I thought was a 75g for $20. They weren't home, and the tank was wet, as if it was just drained, but when I got home, we found a small leak. AND I measured it, and turns out it was really a 40g! No biggie, I turned around and sold it for the same price, making sure to mention that it has a leak, and someone w/ an iguana bought it. So just be smart. You can definitely find awesome deals on there. People just want to get rid of their stuff quick.

I think a lot of people have spent a lot more on better equipment. My setup is my first one, so I did make newbie mistakes, but not major ones. Just learn and ask away!

If you go on craigs list there is one for sale about six hours from where you live for $350 obo it is on the orlando craigs list its a 65 gal with everything you need for it then make any changes that are necessary that is how the husband and I got our 210 gal tank

or even TRIPLE IT. It's always more (a lot more) than you plan or expect! Most of us couldn't even tell you how much we have invested. And I might add we don't want to know. It would be frightening.

I would greatly appriciate some estimates for setting up a reef tank.

C:100 to 150-200.

You`ll need a couple of these.

1934A$1000FRNSnJ00036709A.jpg

Back