Domino Damselfish?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Just picked up 3 domino damselfish. I thought they looked pretty cool and they school up. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they like all damsels where they are aggressive? The LFS told me they are not as aggressive as a YT damsel or blue damsel.

008-4.jpg

I actually think they are more aggressive. In my experience, dominoes are some of the most aggressive damsels, up there with the striped ones. Yellow tails are less aggressive than the rest of them.

Good luck with those guys, maybe you will get lucky and they won't pick each other off. But that's what usually happens.

Is it possible to have a tank with nothing but damsels? They live together in the ocean, why wouldn't a small group be fine in a species tank?:question:

Definitely very aggressive. Your LFS was making a sale. You have to temper their advice with that.

Exactly. Plan your fish ahead of time, and learn about them through google and through these forums. Then, you can go in there and get your fish without having to ask them questions. Then don't take there advice either.

I've never seen them before and that why I started asking questions. I was looking for some smaller fish that would school up. The guy said well we have these on sale for $5 each and I said what the hell. Now I'm wishing that I didn't buy them, but I'm stuck now. If they kill each other then that's what happens. Food for the hermit, shrimps and snails.

For some reason I can't stand chromis. I don't think they look good at all. They just look faded to me. I had a chromis when I first started out in SW, but got rid of it to a buddy of mine shortly after.

I agree with you on that. What a boring fish! Only thing worse is a Cardinal fish.
The only time I liked them (and it was short lived) was when I had 20 very small ones in my Zero Edge. The schooling action was extremely cool.

For some reason I can't stand chromis. I don't think they look good at all. They just look faded to me. I had a chromis when I first started out in SW, but got rid of it to a buddy of mine shortly after.

I hate chromis too,they look like a freshwater fish.I personally think three bartletts would be okay in that size aquarium but they are going to cost more then $5 each,

My LFS is having a sale on anthias right now. I'm severely tempted to pick some up on my way home today... Since the last fish I got jumped! (Stupid firefish. That's what I get for going out of my way to get my lone firefish a pair of buddies). Anthias are WAY nicer than chromis.

Back