Don't know what's wrong????

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
I came home from work today and went and looked at the tank and the black and white clown fish were on the bottom being eaten by hermit crabs. Don't have a clue why they died. The water is ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 30 temp was 82. The only thing I can think is they weren't eating. But they always ate. Any1 have a clue? I think I'm naming my new coral beauty "reaper".

Did you acclimate them from your biocube to your other tank? Also, your 'trates are on the high side, so I'd do a good sized water change to try to bring those down....

Was the CB picking on the clown at all? Was he showing any signs of odd behavior after being added? Your nitrate levels are fine for fish and wouldn't have had anything to do with it, and unless you've got SPS or nems you don't have to worry about it too much. Also what was the temp on your cube, much different from the 90?

I don't dose anything and ph was 7.8 salinity was 1.026. They looks and were acting fine from what I saw. I haven seen the CB go after them at all. I dripped accumulated for 90 mins. They didn't/weren't showing any signs of anything. Usually the tank is only 80 degrees but the wife had the ac Off and windows up. Yea doing a water change once I get some rodi water. Haven't really had the time to do it.

So with the AC off and windows up, was the temp still pretty stable? Sorry to hear about the clowns, though. Sounds like you did everything you could to make a smooth transition. How's the CB? And are all your corals alive and kicking?

It was maybe 2 degrees higher. The CB looked fine. Fed him and he ate most of th cube. All the coral look good. They all seem to be growing. Except my candy cane which I probably should start spot feeding him. I'll look or more like study the CB when I get hone to see if there is anything fun y. Thanks every1.

Well, that didn't take very long woke up this morning and find me CB sucked to one of my powerheads. Still have no clue why they all died. Numbers are:
Ph 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate maybe 60
Everything else is looking just fine. He was eating everytime I fed him. Don't know what to do.

That's what I don't get. The three fish died but the coral are all fine. I'm getting water to today and mixing up a batch to change Thursday. How long does ich stay in your tank with no fish? Is it a month?

From my understanding it takes up to eight weeks. But every fish has ich. It is the stress that brings it out. But yeah your nitrates are really high.
Sorry aboUt your loss. But I would seriously do a good water change and get those nitrates down.

Thanks. I maybe selling the set up and keeping my biocube now. Don't really have the time to do maintance and we're moving to NC the start of next year. Just trying to make out prices for everything now and see how much I can get for everything.

Well, off to the store to get 55g of water. Hopefully thursday i'll get the water changed out. another question how long can corals stay out of water? I'm planning to dump the whole tank or more than half of the water.

Back