Dosing (purple up)

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I did my tests the other night and my calcium was at 460. My question to you is should I be dosing? I have a bottle of Reef Carbonate, Reef Complete and a Bottle of Purple Up I just got on Thursday. I can't remember all my stats, but I posted them in my tank build thread. I'm just worried about the purple up over dosing my tank. I bought it to hopefully speed up my coralline growth.

460 is fine. Dosing Purple Up isn't going to change your calcium much. Go ahead and follow the directions for the Purple Up, but I don't think you need to dose anything else unless you are having a problem that you are trying to fix.

I wouldn't waste my money doesing the purple up with your calcium that high. Check your alkalinity for the right level. If that is where it should be, keep as much hair and slime out of the tank and it will grow fine. It is kind of a waiting game.

Don't worry about the purple up if your calcium is where it is - it won't help or hurt either way, I would say.

The coralline will come, but you should be patient and give it several weeks to start. Get a small piece of live rock that is covered in coralline, drop it in the tank, then so long as your Ca is normal, you'll have coralline in a (short) matter of time.

I've had a few pieces of LR covered in the stuff since I started the cycle, about 10 weeks ago now. So far I don't really have any anywhere else. I am getting some dark red stuff though, I'll take pics later

I'd dump the purple up in the trash.
Calcium at 460 is fine.Whats your alkalinity?
Those are the 2 main things to worry about when it comes to coralline.
Something I've started to notice about corraline.Start testing your magnesium and keep it between 1300 and 1400.Since I started that,My coralline has exploded.

Heres the stuff I was talking about, some pink, some dark red....

ChristmasPartyforAshton014.jpg

Yote has it down. Magnesium is very important to maintaining balance with alkalinity and calcium. It is a very overlooked parameter, but should definitely be tested from time to time. Purple Up has been called a snake oil by some and has never produced very good results for me. A good solution would be a two part solution or kalkwasser in your top off water.

Although many people have said that they didn't see a difference with Purple Up, I've used it in both of my tanks and have noticed a huge difference. I started to see massive amounts of coralline within three days of starting it.

Yeah, I checked out the purple up before I bought it, it seems half the people love it, half thought it was junk. Seeing as its a new tank and it was inexpensive, I figured I'd give it a try. As long as I'm not doing more harm than good, I may as well finish it off

Yea and if it does work then you have found a good product that you can count on to improve your coralline algae.

I'm indifferent when it comes to Purple Up.I didn't notice a difference from using and not using it.I really hate the temporary cloudiness it causes.

I couldnt get coralline to grow at all when I used purple up.Thats was a wasted 20 bucks I could have spent on a coral or a fish.

Back