Down to the basics...advice please

dreamwalk

Creator of the InvisoReef
Ok.. It's been so long since I have posted on the forums, but I just got back online recently and wanted to really go at this...

Ok, so I have searched all over the net looking for a "must have" list of things to buy to get started in reefing. Unfortunately, I have found no such list, so I turn to you guys in search for said list.

I am not talking specific brands, but rather the general tools of the trade..

I know I have to have a tank... goes without saying (typing...haha) but want else? filtration? what kinds? lighting? how bright? see where I'm going with this?

Oh, and just in case it makes any difference, the aquarium that I am looking to purchase is: JBJ Nano Cube Aquariums/Tanks

I was looking at the 28 gal. on and am thinking that the cheaper one, with PC lighting would work, but i also know that the metal halide is better...and will be worth the extra cash upfront...

so, I know that this has been a long post, but if you guys could help me with the list and advice on the tank, that would be the awesome!

If you're getting a biocube then you're pretty well all set with lighting, skimmer, heater already.
You may want to add an extra powerhead.
Get an RO/DI unit.

Thank.you.so.much.

Would you recommend that model cube?
and anything else besides the extra powerhead or RO/DI unit?

I'd go with the 28 gal metal halide version for sure. There's a few people on here that have them and are really happy with them.

So besides the obvious, live rock, aragonite sand, salt mix like Instant Ocean is good. So maybe you should tell us what your plan is and we can critque it, might be a little easier.

um...a plan...like what I intend to include?

defiantly some water...I think.. lol

no, but seriously, um.. some soft corals...and I know I want a gobby or blenny..(lawnmower? they are cute XD)

that want you mean?

API or salifert are good brands. Get the drip tests not the test strips. You'll want ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to start and probably a hydrometer or refractometer. Later when you start getting into corals you'll want PH, calcium, alkalinity.

ok so, here is my list with prices...:

Tank $ 317.98
Ro/DO $ 63.90
Power Head $ 25.00
Live Rock $ 200.00
Aragonite Sand $ 33.94
Salt Mix $ 13.99
reef master test kit $ 20.99
saltwater test kit $ 22.50
hydrometer $ 7.19

All adding to: $ 705.49

oh.. I forgot the stand...oh well, to tired to look up the price tonight...maybe tomorrow...but I think the one for that tank was $200 or so.. maybe can find it cheaper on ebay?

Drop that hydrometer and get a refractometer instead.
The refractometer is way more accurate and will last for years.The hydrometer will have to be replaced every few weeks and isnt anywhere new reliable.

Updated list:

Tank $ 317.98
Ro/DO $ 63.90
Power Head $ 25.00
Live Rock $ 200.00
Aragonite Sand $ 33.94
Salt Mix $ 13.99
reef master test kit $ 20.99
saltwater test kit $ 22.50
Refractometer $39.99

All adding to: $738.29

I also think there is some duplication with the saltwater test kit and reef master test kits you listed. I think they contain some of the same tests? If that's the case you may be better off buying one of the kits and buying the remaining test kits you need individually. You will need pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for the basics. If you get corals, you will also need calcium.

You may also be able to reduce the cost of the rock by buying 1 or 2 pieces of live rock and letting it "seed" some dry rock.

Back