Dr Marco's 125 experiment

Doc

I don't work for anybody
So, I decided to post the progress of my 125 fish tank experiment. My once proud 125 angel tank, which recently won the fabled picture of the month award, has been sacked to create a 90 gallon reef tank and left the 125 pretty picked over. It still has a few angelfish, but not the amount of livestock that it originally had. While the 90 is going well, and I have a thread for it, I figured that I would post the progress of my 125 as I move it closer toward its destiny - just not sure what that is yet. Here is what it currently looks like.

PA270005.jpg

Pretty bare in comparison, huh?

PA270012.jpg

I only have two fish inhabitants, both angelfish and the corals that I have left are just softies and a few mushrooms.

PA270010.jpg

PA270011.jpg

While it looks lean, it will not stay that way for long. I am open to suggestions from the forum about what to do. I have a loose plan to keep the angels (obviously), add another singapore angel, and I am thinking about that brown-banded bamboo shark. Not sure what else, especially corals. I am not looking to upgrade lights but I do need more live rock.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Those angels look awesome.. They almost glow under them lights. That botton angel, what is the name? My lfs has one and its one of the cooloer looking one I have seen. Is is coral friendly? I like the lemon peel angel as well....

Poor coralline,I know its only coralline but it still sad to see it die after so many years of growing.The system does look a bit bare compare to its once glory.It still looks great though.

How about some rarer and colorful LPS.Micromussa,Blastomussas, and Acan Lords come to mine.I like to see what a Sohal looks like in someones system besides in pictures.

the bottom pic is of my blue angel. It is not considered "reef safe". But for me, I have been able to pull it off. it gets over a foot in length. You need to have a tank that is a minimum of 6 feet in length to make sure they have ample swimming room.

um, reef, you know that what I post on this forum is, um, well, pictures? - giggle- :mrgreen:

Seriously, I am planning on a sohal for sure. I am not sure about the shark. I really want one again. I miss them.

I am planning on putting in blastos, lobophillia, scolymia, and other LPS in my 90, so you can see them there.

You know Doc,you gave me an idea.When the new 210g arrives,I may just go ahead and set up the 75 and the 12g nano(Like I QT anyways) up as well.Can I buy your lights from you?(jk).

I don't see enough wrasses in peoples systems(except the sixline).I like to at sometime in the future add maybe a Scott's Fairy,what about a fancy wrasse?

I actually thought of you buying my lights if you were going to be stuck with the 75 for a long time. Funny you were thinking the same thing. As far as wrasses go, I have an ornate wrasse now in my work tank, but I have only tried the yellow coris wrasse in my 125. There were OK, but not impressive in size. With some of the fairy wrasses, there color almost gives me a headache. Kinda like care bears threw up on each other.

With some of the fairy wrasses, there color almost gives me a headache. Kinda like care bears threw up on each other.

You crack me up on how you describe their colors.I like to think of them like abstract art.I like how many of the wrasse has that swimming motion that I can't seem to describe but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

oh yeah.....silly me.....that is what I meant. :mrgreen:

I haven't seen a lot of wrasses tho, especially the flasher wrasses. Not sure if they are reef safe. I have thought of one for the 90, but I haven't done a lot of research on them. Some of the really red ones might be a nice highlight in my tank.

My LFS has a blue-spotted stingray that is just a baby and is eating well. I really like their coloring and swimming patterns. I just don't know if I have enough open swomming space for one in my 125. My kids really want one, and that is another option, to add a small shark and stingray with the two angels and then upgrade them to at least a 210 later, if my touch tank idea takes longer than I think it will.

I am hesitant to add a stingray, since I have heard that angelfish can be relentless at picking on their eyes if they periceve them as competition for food. Not sure as I have not had ANY experience with stingrays. Any ideas from those of you with WAY more knowledge than I?

With some of the fairy wrasses, there color almost gives me a headache. Kinda like care bears threw up on each other.

you mean kinda like drunk humping?

Hahahahaha! These quotes made the hungover, still wearing my costume, post-halloween party, sifting through a gazillion posts soooo worth it!!! Dr. Marco, you crack me up, Sir.

another question (still waiting for a knowledgeable response about the blue spotted stingray) about my 125 experiment. Since I have no LPS or SPS corals in my tank, do I still need to dose ALK and Cal? I like to dose amino acids for softies, but, from what I recall, they don't need any other special treatment other than lighting and water changes. Any ideas?

I dont think any size reef except for maybe 500 gallons or bigger would be good for a ray.
They tend to grow fairly big and need extra soft sand from what I understand about em.
But I'm sure that if anybody could get one to thrive in a reef tank,that it would be you Doc.
BTW
Those pics are awesome.

sniff..sniff..coralline..tank looks great dr marco..still have plenty of room there...nice aquascaping..any ideas on new corals?? rocks??

Another reason why it would be hard to keep a ray in a reef tank is because they require SO MUCH sand space. The sand bed needs to be very deep, and you can't have a lot of rock. That's why they do best in tanks that have little to no rocks in them at all.

Softies need a little bit of calcium.Check first then dose if needed.Personally,I think water changes will keep up with any calcium consumption.

thanks everyone. I think I will wait on the stingray until I have my touch-tank. It is just too much of a risk. I think I am solid on the shark though, and the Sohal. Just need to find the right specimen.

My LFS has baby sharks, still hatching, its cool to look at them in the egg, they squirm around and stuff, really cool to watch.......

Back