Dr Marco's 125 experiment

Here are two of him acclimating in the bag, proof he exists. I have a few others that show him hanging out. I will get them to you guys ASAP

P1260005.jpg

P1260004.jpg

-Doc

He is spectacular. Alexander, you have got to see him in person!

He was $30. that was it. the last one I got was almost $50 so I jumped on this guy. In addition to finding a new fishy today, I also found the remains of one. the blue fin angelfish did not make it. seems he was not quite strong enough to make it with the big angels. Here is what was left of him.

P1260007.jpg

and

P1260008.jpg

-Doc

OK, so I finally got photobucket to cooperate. Here is the story. I floated him, and when he was ready, I took him to the sink to dump out the water and put him in the net

P1260011.jpg

after he came out, I rushed him back to the tank to drop him in. sorry for the blurry pic, it was an action shot, much like the shakey cam on Blair Witch

P1260012.jpg

I dropped him in and he rushed into the corner to start sniffing around the tank

P1260013.jpg

-Doc

Last edited:
Once he hit the water, the other fish came by to take a look. the blue angel got too close and caught a mouthful of spines. He promptly left

P1260016.jpg

Here are some other shots of him

P1260017.jpg

P1260015.jpg

P1260014.jpg

Hope you like them

-Doc

I just have to ask, Dit you just do a temp acclimation?

heavens no. I let them sit in the tank for 5 minutes and then add a 1/4 cup of water into the bag every 10 minutes til a cup is in, while it floats. takes me about 45 minutes.

-Doc

Great looking fish! Are these fish hard to keep?

Yes. they can be quite difficult. what makes them hard to keep alive is shipping and diet. They come from Sri Lanka and are often caught with poison in the water and so they just slowly die from the start of their journey.

the other part that makes them tough is their only wanting to eat ghost shrimp or other live fare. often they do not take frozen food and slowly starve. I have a trick that worked in the past and I hope it still works. I thaw out krill and drop it into the current of the powerhead nearest to when he perches. It takes some time to wait until he is close enough to be able to catch movement as often they sit near the bottom of the tank. Since they are predators, they want to hunt, not be fed. once they see the thawed krill shoot across the tank in the current of the powerhead, they leap at them and devour them. you have to be patient because once the krill stop moving in the current and settle onto the sand bed, the radiata loses interest in it. Takes some time, but I think it is worth it. I have never known anyone else who has been able to keep one alive. they are magnificent animals

-Doc

Thats the same trick we use at the LFS Doc.
He looks healthy and should take to krill fairly easy.If he dont,try small pieces of frozen table shrimp.

Hey Doc why dont you just live feed the Lionfish? My LFS live feeds all of their predators just plop in a crappy feeder goldfish and when he wants it...chomp!

Back