Dragon Face Pipefish

bkv1997

Reef enthusiast
Just some pics. I bought these to help keep Red bugs off my Acros. I don' have them, but from the horror stories I have heard I went ahead and got three when I found them available.

Had these for two weeks and are quickly becoming some of my favorite fish. Very interesting creatures to watch.

I have been able to get these guys to eat the following.

1) San Francisco Bay Brand Sally's Baby Brine Shrimp
2) Gamma - tropical Marine centre - Plankton

I stop all pumps when feeding these guys they can swim in the current but seem to like things calm when eating.

Enjoy the pics.

P1010024.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010029.JPG

P1010031.JPG

P1010032_828479.JPG

P1010025.JPG

Those are the cutest little things I ever saw!!! do you have other fish in there, or is it just a reef tank with them in it? VERY cool!!!!:mrgreen:

yep in a reef with a regal tang, yellow tang and a couple of clown fish.

They are pretty cool little fish.. I bought them primarly because they eat Red Bugs which is a pest that can come in on SPS. I always dip my corals and have never had them, but you can never be to prepared.

Plus like you said they look cool.

Brandon

So would they be easier to keep than seahorses? Have been doing some research, and it sounds like seahorses have a very poor survival rate in home tanks ... can't stand to get something that will die, so was wondering if these little dragons are better suited, and how you care for them, personally???

I dont believe seahorses are actually all that difficult, there has been a high success rating at not only raising them but breeding them as well. They just need ample hang on material and feeding and would do better in a tank 30 gal or larger just them. They will not compete for food there not aggressive or quick moving.

Yeah seahorses just generally don't do well in a reef tank with other fish, although my LFS has a pair of them in their beautiful display tank with all the other usual reef inhabitants. He just was very careful to be able to provide them with a suitable habitat within the tank.

So it is possible to keep them thriving, especially if they are the only fish in the tank?? I am considering seahorses in their own reef tank, but even so, read on a couple of sites (seahorse sites) that they simply do not do well in captivity at ALL. That is is awful to take them from the wild and condemn them to certain death in an aquarium!! So I was thinking, maybe a different type of odd fishie?!

That's why you should only buy captive bred seahorses. They do much better in tanks than wild caught (which rarely do well). Several sites sell captive bred, and that's the only kind my LFS will sell.

Sarah, can you help me out by steering me to somewhere that DOES sell CB?? I don't even know if my LFS gets theirs as CB ... THEY may not know, or even care ... but I do!! So if you can help, please let me know!!!

Kathy

I dont know much about marine depot But I do know that I would go with liveaquaria. com they have had awesome reviews when it comes to there live stock and stick to there word if something happens.

In my experience, Marine Depot has had the best customer service of anywhere I've ordered from and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone else.

Back