drastic light changes

lilduud

Reefing newb
so i was going to take bjohanson1234's suggestion and do a week long black out but i honestly dont think i can do it hah do you think it would be effective enough to cut the daytime light for a week and use the actinc for 8 hours a day...? i need to be able to see my fish and coral some hah

haha its not that bad i just want to nuke it before it gets worse... but do i have to go all the way or would it be effective enough to just use my actinics for 8 hours a day

You can take good advice or you can learn on your own...I recommend taking the advice. If you don't mind me saying, you sure do have alot of issues with your tank...You need to figure out what's going on with your tank. Why is the algae growing in the first place.

well the algae only appeared after i returned from a week long trip so i am assuming there was a ton of feeding going on by the person who stayed here by the amount of food that was gone... now the spots that were there have grown only slightly as the feeding is returned to normal.

If they arent that bad, try removing it by hand. If the rock doesnt have any coral on it, you can always put it in a dark bucket for a week in old water with a power head. That way you can have the lights still on and still do a blackout just on that one rock. Just keep the water circulating so more things dont die.

I wasn't trying to bust your balls. I was just trying to point out that there might be something else going on in the tank. I apologize.

thank you for your apology i accept it haha
and i know where your coming from i returned to a few mysteries that must be linked but all my levels are seemingly normal.

Before you go lights out on the tank,manually remove as much of the algae as possible.A new stiff bristled tooth brush works wonders.Just take the rock and scrub the algae off in a bucket of saltwater.
If you go lights out long enough to kill the algae in the tank,then all the nutrients trapped in the algae gets released back in your tank fueling more algae..You've got to get ahead of it to beat it.

Back