Dreaded Diatoms!!!!

Justin0329

Reefing newb
Ok, So my tank is aproxamately 6 months running and I have been fighting diatoms. A lot of diatoms! I was told that it may be due to high phosphates so, as recomended, I started using distilled water for my water changes. It seems as though the diatoms have not reduced in the slightest bit. I then read that they will run their natural course and eventually run out of "food" and disappear. My question is how long does this process take? I understand parameters have a lot to do with it along with feeding. I have a 55 gallon tank along with a 25 gallon sump for a total of roughly 80 gallons minus the displacement of rock and sand. Ammonia reads 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates <5. Its been a long hard battle to get the Nitrates this low but its been really stable at 5 or less for about 2 months. My protein skimmer has been performing great in my opinion and the skimmate is dumped once a week on fridays. I do 2 water changes a week (tuesdays and fridays), 5 gallons at a time for a total of 10 gallons a week. I don't know what else to add to my schedule or what to do differently. Oh, and i feed a small ammount every night. I have 2 ocellaris clowns, one coral beauty angel, 2 blue damsels (I know, I know...) along with one green emerald crab, one decorator crab, 3 blue leg hermits, and 2 turbo snails. My lights consist of a single 48" fixture containing 2 actinic, and 2 10,000k bulbs along with blue moonlight led's. Total wattage is 260w. Bulbs are very new.
Sorry this is getting long, but I need advice!
Thanks in advance!!!
Oh, and I keep my temp around 78 F

Last edited:
Diatoms feed off of silicates, and once those disappear, the diatoms rarely come back. What kind of sand did you use in your tank? Silicates usually either come from the sand or the water.

is there any type of crab or shrimp I can get that would help? Or any animal for that matter? I have plenty of space for more animals in my tank!

Back