Dreamwalk's 10gal Nano

Hey guys! I'm back, and hopefully about to start getting all the equipment.
IF I get enough back on my income taxes. LOL.....

For Lights, I'm planing:
Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

For Powerhead, I'm planning:
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 GPH (3.5 watts)

For Test Kit:
Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit

For Refractomenter:
Sybon Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation

I still have my HOB filter that I still plan on using for a fuge and the two 10 gallon takes that I'll use, tho, at first I'll prolly only use the one.
Those will prolly be the largest buys, until I get the CUC , sand and live rock from TBS (10 gal):
Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package Pricing Chart

So far, It's all come to a total of $360.65...(that's including salt, and other little things such as water ect.) but that doesn't include shipping, so I'm expecting more around $400.00 which is soo much less than I had figured it to be about a year or two ago.

So, what do you guys think? Good start-up list?
Also, would I need a ballast for that lighting set up? (I'm still fuzzy on that :S)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I dont think the t5 need ballasts, but im not 100% sure on that either.

Also you can find refractometers for half the price in ebay.

But TBS will treat you right, they are a great company!

Also, I kindda forgot the whole procedure, but do I add the sand, rock before the cycle? If I remember right, I do...but, what about the clean up crew? when I order from TBS they ship all at the same time :S

TBS will send you two packages. You put the first in your tank (you want to put the rocks in, make them steady and then put the sand in to avoid rock slide), and let that cycle. Then when that is over, he will send you part 2 which has the more delicate stuff and you hope you dont have a mini cycle. But that stuff is still pretty hardy and should be ok.

He will call and talk you through all of this before you get anything, im pretty sure.

Hay dreamwalk. I was looking at your light set-up. I know we are both in the same situation. Take a look at your dimensions on your tank. You can probably just go with the 20inch version and save you 15 bucks. The top half of my tank is only 19 and 1/2 inches across. Going with that 24 you will be sticking out a little. But it’s always up to you of course.

,Beastly

TBS will send you two packages. You put the first in your tank (you want to put the rocks in, make them steady and then put the sand in to avoid rock slide), and let that cycle. Then when that is over, he will send you part 2 which has the more delicate stuff and you hope you dont have a mini cycle. But that stuff is still pretty hardy and should be ok.

He will call and talk you through all of this before you get anything, im pretty sure.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Hay dreamwalk. I was looking at your light set-up. I know we are both in the same situation. Take a look at your dimensions on your tank. You can probably just go with the 20inch version and save you 15 bucks. The top half of my tank is only 19 and 1/2 inches across. Going with that 24 you will be sticking out a little. But it’s always up to you of course.

,Beastly

My top length is 29 inches :S so I think that is why I chose the longer light, but I'll deffly look into that shorter light to see if it extends that long......

The 20 inch light only extends to 26 inches...it wouldn't fit, and the one that is one step up:
http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-24in-2x24W-T5-HO-Light-Fixture-p/52121.htm
it extends to 30 inches, but it only has 48watts....which at 3 watts per gallon...would work, am I right?

Last edited:
HEY!
Just looking over some stuff for ebay, I think I got the prices way down. (about 50 bucks less!)

Anyways, Do you guys know anything about the Rio powerheads? They have some on amazon that are like...67 gph, I wanted to get to to eliminate dead spots, think this would work?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TAAM-RIO-PLUS-PUMP-69GPH/dp/B0027J67GS]Amazon.com: TAAM RIO PLUS 50 PUMP 69GPH: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

ime sure you could rig somthing to hold it up :)

:D I found then one you were talking about, it would fit my tank. I made wrong measurements or something. so, the one with the moon lights will work great!
Thanks again for the suggestion!

Ok, so it turns out the other two were submersible pumps :frustrat:

Ideally, I would have two powerheads, right?

I'm not sure I remember how to determine how much flow a tank needs...(is it 20x?) if that's the case...anyone have any suggestions on afforadable powerheads? preferable small enough so that I can have two?

Last edited:
OMG!
I just remesuared my tank, and the top length is 20 inches! I'm not sure how I got 29 inches, but this is sooo awesome, thanks for the suggestion on the light, Beastly!

I guess this means my lighting will be the Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

That's a bit more than the 24 inch, but it also has the moonlights!

Haha yea. I thought maybe you had a longer 10 gallon tank or somthing. But that light is the CHEAPEST you can find anywhere. I work at homedepot and talked to an associate in the electrical department who is also an electrician. He walked me through the entire procedure on how to make my own and just the ballest and sheet metel alond got me to 45 dollars. I would still need the lights, tombstones, and 120 volt wall cable. So you CAN NOT beat this product. It is the best bang for your buck.

Back