Dreamwalk's 10gal Nano

It might just be more simple and less work to buy a refugium. I have a tiny one that's basically a plastic box with an open top and some holes in it. I have it just at the top inside of my aquarium, and have it held on with a magnet scrubber. I put a little pump in it and voila, a refugium. It's high enough in my tank that the fish can't swim into it and eat things, but the copepods can breed in all the algae and sand there.

You can make a sump out of your other ten gal tank. Just silicone some baffles in it. In that guys sump he uses them sponges as bio balls which is more for fresh water. If you want a sump then you want to put you equipment in it, a fuge is where you put rubble rock sand or macro algae. If you go skimmerless, or use a HOB (hang on back) then use it as a fuge.

The DIY skimmer wont do a bit of good. He did not use a riser tube in it so you can't collect the junk it just goes right back down. There are better DIY skimmers, but you can find a good used prizim for a fair price 50.00 max. I just seen two not too long ago one for 35 and the other for 40.00, and it'll do a good job on a 10 gal.

I use a HOB filter for a fuge on my 50 gal, but I don't put rock or sand in it just cheato, and it does a decent job. It'll have to be a clear filter of take the top off so it gets light from your tank light to grow the cheato.

Thanks guys.

Can you guys post pics of the Refugiums that you use? Especially the HOB filter that you are using.

Thanks!

You can make a sump out of your other ten gal tank. Just silicone some baffles in it. In that guys sump he uses them sponges as bio balls which is more for fresh water. If you want a sump then you want to put you equipment in it, a fuge is where you put rubble rock sand or macro algae. If you go skimmerless, or use a HOB (hang on back) then use it as a fuge.

I use a HOB filter for a fuge on my 50 gal, but I don't put rock or sand in it just cheato, and it does a decent job. It'll have to be a clear filter of take the top off so it gets light from your tank light to grow the cheato.

I don't like the idea of making a sump for my 10 gal out of a 10 gal....plus, I don't have much room.

IF I was going to make the sump out of the 10gal, how would I do that, and what would I need?

A glass baffle. I had my local true value cut me a piece for a couple bucks then I went to walmart and bought a tube of silicone and stuck it in there. A sump and fuge are made alittle different. In a sump you section off the return and have a constant water hieght for the skimmer, in a fuge you use different size baffles for what ever you want in there. They can be built hundreds of way though. Just google around till you find out the one that works best for you and copy it.

Are you going to put anything under your tank on the table? I'd be affraid of damage to the table from spills....or I think you said you were getting a stand?

ok. So.. wow. this is a bit confusing. lol... My dad is going to bring me some half inch flex tube from his workplace. I;m not sure how three feet of it could help me, but he is bringing it. XD lol... now. I just need to find some pumps for the sump.

Are you going to put anything under your tank on the table? I'd be affraid of damage to the table from spills....or I think you said you were getting a stand?

It's just a old desk, so I'm not to worried about damage. Yes, my dad said he could make a stand at work, or at least get some supplies for it from there.:^:

Thanks. Read a bit of it so far, it has help me A LOT!

I am convinced now that I need to build a sump. I will most likely make it from Plexiglas instead of using my 10 gal tank. ( I plan to use it for a QT)

Have any of you made a sump? IF so, what are some of the things I should keep in mind?

You CAN make a sump and a fuge out of a 5 gallon tank.....here's mine. It's all that would fit in my stand. It was easy with the help of all these fine folks at Living Reefs... I can draw you a plan if you like. here it is just prior to install.

DSC_0055.jpg

You CAN make a sump and a fuge out of a 5 gallon tank.....here's mine. It's all that would fit in my stand. It was easy with the help of all these fine folks at Living Reefs... I can draw you a plan if you like. here it is just prior to install.

I would love it if you could draw me a plan.... but maybe I should try my own fist....Then, if that doesn't work right...

I dont think I will need as many chambers as you have, because I don't plan on using a skimmer....I want to use only Bio-filter.

Then again, maybe I will have as many as you, that way I can have a chamber for the heater and ect...

What REALLY has me stumped, even after reading the pages that were posted, is the plumbing and the overflow box, pumps, valves, and ect...

Any one have a good explanation of these things??

Very nicely done Seabee. Great clean lines, no sloppy silicone. Was that a regular 5 gal and then derimmed or did you build the hole thing? Did you polish the baffles too? Awesome!

The overflow box has a few chambers in it, one in the tank, the skimmer, then a "u" tube carries the water over into the box hanging on the tank. That hits a small chamber of its own, keeping the siphon full. Here's where it gets cool, the water "overflows" over a small wall in the o box. (overflow box will hence forth be the "o" box) This water then Falls down into the sump, not a siphon anymore. Then water goes into the first chamber, gets heated, skimmed, whatever, the three walls you see are a bubble trap, the water goes over, then under, then over again, thats a three baffle system, people do all kinds of things, but I had limited space. The next chamber is my fuge, which you should do, you put cheato and rock in there, some put sand, but I didn't. Then the next wall is the where the pump goes. Now this is how it works: the pump PUSHES the water up into your tank, causing the water to overflow into the skimmer on the o box, and keeps the cycle going. We can hook you up with what to do when you are ready. Price out a tank that will fit under your stand or where ever you want to put this, then maybe you can have a glass guy install the baffles, they are in like every town, people break windows so you need a glass guy. I had mine built real cheap. He even cut my o box so it would fit better, it had a 2" space to hang from, but I tightened it dawn to fit better at 1" I have it all documented on this site under equipment. Project 5K helped me out tremendously, so thanks again P5K!!!
Sump installed:
DSC_0231.jpg

Overflow box, custom cut to fit on the frame of tank better.

DSC_0069_00.jpg

Close up of the fit:

DSC_0071_01.jpg

Very nicely done Seabee. Great clean lines, no sloppy silicone. Was that a regular 5 gal and then derimmed or did you build the hole thing? Did you polish the baffles too? Awesome!

No Bob, I had the whole thing built, it is 7.75 inches wide by 22" long and 12" tall, the exact size of the door under my tank, fits like oj's glove in there! I told dream to buy a 5 gal for simplicity right now, way cheaper. I do work for this guy who owns a glass company so all it cost was a $100 gift card to a restaraunt, he wouldn't bill me, but he liked that gift card.

hurm....Those pics are great, I only have one question....Is there a "U" tube that creates the overflow into the "O" box? Can't tell in those pics...then again, i don't really know what im looking for.

Can't wait to get my stand made and set up so I can quit planing and start DOING!!!

No, the u tube is not in the picture, it goes over the rim from the tank into the o box, I just hung the thing on the tank for the picture. It's clear and shaped like a u and is about 3/4" diameter.

Ok. lol... i thought i had missed it. XD

i am currently reading Melevsreef.com...there seems to be a lot of info there.

There is so much that I want to do.... I am just not sure how big the sump shouls be...

Since im not going to have a skimmer, would a one gallon sump be acceptable?

Why only one gallon? A sump becomes part of your tank overall water volume. The larger the sump the more water you have, and the more stable. YOu see, a small tank will be easily upset in water parameters, temperature and all. I would put in the biggest sump I could fit, it's not lie it costs more at your level, and a small 10 gallon tank is like 20 bucks, and what we do to it will be really cool and your friend will need a bib when he looks at your shit all set up like a pro...

Back