drill glass aquarium

jesse

Not That Kind Of Reefer
so i found an 80 gal tank with a stand and i was wondering if it would be possible to drill it later on. i heard that it wont work because it would break the tank. will i need an over flow box instead? i found it for 125 so i thought it was pretty cheap.

You can drill your tank using a kit from companies like Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff. You can not drill tanks with tempered glass though, it will shatter as soon as you start trying to run the drill bit through. And you still need to becareful drilling regular glass because there is still a chance to mess up and crack the glass.

+1 brian. I found when drilling the glass slow and staedy wins the race dont try to get it done in a hurry putting to much pressure on the drill or you will be replacing glass

i have seen all that but i dont trust my self with it. if it is tempered glass then would an overflow box work just as fine?

Yes an over flow box works just as well. Some LFS will drill tanks, so ask around. Probably more expensive than drilling yourself, but at least it would be done by someone with experience.

i've done some glass cutting for a friend, make sure that if you're going to a power drill that it's torqued properly, also make sure that you are using a diamond dusted drill bit, it's not necessary but highly recommended

Back