Drill my tank?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I am upgrading my 14 gallon to a 40 and this is a brand new tank. I am not planning right away to add a sump but was wondering it I would be able to drill it and maybe cap it off til the time comes where I want to sump it? Also, I can't see anything on the tank that says if it's tempered or not. It's an Aqueon 40 gallon breeder. Anyone know?

I would prefer drilling personally, the HOB overflow is loud and isn't reliable IMO when it comes to continuous siphon.

You may be able to find a threaded plug for the bulkhead but, I'm not totally positive on that. I don't believe your tank is not tempered but, I can't say for sure. If you have any doubts, you can e-mail the manufacturer. Or, get a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses and look at the tank with them. If you look at it and see a crossed or checkered pattern then it's tempered, if you look and just see the glass then it's safe.

If you're serious about drilling it then look at Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff they have packages that include everything you;ll need as well as detailed instructions.

Or, get a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses and look at the tank with them. If you look at it and see a crossed or checkered pattern then it's tempered, if you look and just see the glass then it's safe.

I always wondered why when I look at some glass why it looks weird lol! Unfortunately, my current pair aren't polarized and I know the bottom of this tank is not tempered because I saw a list at their site and it said the bottom is not. I'm going to give them a call and ask though. As for drilling, I may see if a glass shop around here will drill for me. I don't trust myself to drill glass. My question would be where should I have them drill at?

Back